Ok, so I'm 21, and have been having period-related problems for about 8 years. I've always had a brown discharge right before my period, then about three days of what seems like torture - extensive bleeding (usually @ least a pad / tampon per hour), moderate clotting and unbelievable cramps. I had exploratory laproscopic surgery about three years ago, and they found about two dozen functional cysts - no one could ever tell me if they were causing the problems, but I was pain-free and bleeding lighter for about three months post surgery, then gradually returned to my previous state.

Has anyone else had experience with functional cysts? I originally sought help because I'm literally the only female in my family that still has her uterus (my only aunt, my mother, both grandmothers and two great-grandmothers I know of all had hysterectomies for polyps, uterine or ovarian cancer, or died from lack of surgery). I have very heavy bleeding for 2 - 3 days, then average until the end (about 5 - 6 days duration, normally).

I tried BC with no positive results. Also, I was put on the Depo shot post-surgery when my pain returned, but after two weeks, I began bleeding non-stop (not always heavy, but always there), which continued for a total of 62 days...I chose not to have another shot, which my doctor didn't seem to understand?!? o.O He actually told me if I was 20 years older or already had kids, they would just do a hysterectomy and get it over with!

I'd like to know I'm not the only one out there...modern medicine has done absolutely nothing for me, and I still dread my period each month.

~Glow

Hi there, I'm 32 and have the same symptons you described and have had them since the age of 13. In '05 I had an emergency DNC because I cramped/clotted for 2 months straight. I thought it would have ended that mess, but for the last two weeks it's been doing the same thing. I am going to the doctor's office today for more testing. They told me the same thing, get the "surgery" and be done with it. The only problem with that is, uh lets see, I WANT MY OWN KIDS! My doc doesn't seem to care about that and offered a number for the local adoption agency! THE NERVE! Anyway, when I was 25 I worked in a hospital and the nurse gave me pills that worked like a charm, one to reduce clotting and the other to relax the ovaries and uterus. I will try to find the specific names of those two pills and repost for you. That way I can get my hands on some as well. I take one day off from work every month because I can't drive from the severity of the cramping.

I, too, always miss a day of school or work each month...to the point where I schedule my life around when I might get my period, like dr.'s appointments, meetings, etc. I know if it's my first or second day, there's a good chance I may not be able to make it down the stairs to the shower, none-the-less across town.

I'd be so happy if you found the name of the meds you took - I've had minimal success with meds. I stopped trying new ones after I was prescribed Bextra (which was pulled after lawsuits over strokes), while I was on the Depo shot (which carries the risk of stroke) and my doctor knew I was a smoker - guess I'm lucky on that one, never had a stroke :-D My OB/GYN just kept pushing narcotic pain killers (because I had taken them after my first surgery), which I'm not a big fan of, but I take when I can't stand the pain. I feel like I don't even know what's out there besides the typical meds most docs try for menstrual probs - BC, depo, lupron, etc.

Has anyone had any success with any vitamins / supplements / herbs? I tried flax seed oil (omega-3) for a while, but never noticed a difference.

Wow...that was longer than I planned...hmmm...blame the hormones XD

I can completely sympothize with you! My life one week of each month, revolves around my cycle. When my new doctor gets my medical history from my old doctor, I will post the pills and what strength I took. At that time, I was also a smoker and the pills still worked, so hopefully they will work for you too!

Me too ,but I get really bad clotts. I started my period at 11yrs old and its been bad ever since I've been on the pill for a little over a year ago was agaisnt taking it but was told I could get cancer which runs in the family if I didn't, know I'm having an allergic reacton to the pill and have had a bad rash for almost 2 months now, so I had to stop taking them and they where helping!! :-( Know I have to go to an allergist to see whats going on

I've had severe cramps since I was 15 and then I changed my life style and now they are mild which I can hardly believe.

I eat a low fat high fiber vegan diet high in raw produce , drink tons of fennel , mint, ginger, raspberry leaf, cinnamon tea, work out 5 times a week for 30 min. ( I walk, do sit ups, lunges, yoga). Getting enough calcium, vitamin c , vitamin b 6 helps too.

Dear Glow;

I am 16 years old, almmost 17 and I too experience EVERY symptom you and everyone else here as listed. I clott so bad that I go through super tampons or heavy duty pads in an hour. I also get the brown discharge two days before and after my period. It usually lasts 8 days, but it has lasted two weeks before. I also get severe, extremely intense cramps to where i can't do nothing but hold my stomache, go up on my toes, lean over and hold something and scream OWW! I mean my symptons are so bad I can't enjoy anything :/ It causes me to miss school, my dance and everything ; all I can do is lay down and cry :/ My grandmother, and my mother both had "The Surgery" due to intermetriosis (not sure of spelling) My mother also had several, large cysts and my great grandother died of ovarian cancer. I really liked to know why my periods are like this, and I hope its not any of what my family have had.

If you guys could please find out the names of the medication and tell them, or have insight on what I may have ; I would be forever grateful. I would just like to be able to live my "greatest years" in high school full out rather than living my life around my period :/

Hi peeps, i was diagnosed with endometriosis 2 years ago and have all the same symptoms, i had a laparoscopy and they removed the lesions and cysts. 15% of women in the world suffer from this and there is no known cure or cause, but, theres hope.... if u do have it and they succesfully remove it then there is a chance of having a baby! so get you docs to check u over coz it causses infertility whilst it remains, but once removed u can have kids without having to have a hysterectomy!

good luck