basically i experienced extrememly heavy bleeding and clots two months after a surgical abortion and really would like to know if anything similar has happened to anyone.

i had my abortion on the 27th of november. i bled for the first few days and then spot bled until the 18th of january when the blood started to thicken and i thought my period had finally come - on the 19th of january i put in a mini tampon in the morning and soaked through it and my underwear in just a couple of hours (which for me is not normal) then that night i started gushing out blood and clots - i went straight to hospital realising this was not right - at the hospital the bleeding came in intervals and i passed more clots and some tan tissue the shape of a peanut? then i was taken to another hospital with a specialist and i passed so many clots that i could have filled up a bucket.

unfortunately i was overseas at this time and was told by my nurse that if there were any complications overseas not to mention i had an abortion so i didn't tell the doctors this had happened (which is ridiculous now that i look back), the doctors put me on a saline drip for 2 and a half days, did a physical examination of the vagina and an ultrasound inside the vagina/cervix and said that they could not find anything, and also did blood tests then decided i did not need a blood transfusion however if the bleeding persisted then i would need one. they diagnosed me with dysfuntional uterine bleeding and perscribed me oestrogen and pogestrone tablets and calcium tablets to stop the bleeding. the tablets worked and i was organising to come home as early as possible but could not leave the country until my insurance had paid so was stuck there for another two weeks

- i finally got to the destination of where my flight was leaving on the 9th of feb and on feb 5th i started bleeding again - i knew how serious it was after having been to the hospital so called an ambulance straight away and was taken to a nearby hospital - this time i decided to tell them the whole truth about the abortion and the doctors put me on a saline drip did the physical examination again and removed the clots physically from the vagina then did an ultrasound and again could not find anything - next they did a blood test and decided i needed a plasma transfusion so my blood could clot as i was losing so much blood - the next day the doctor did another physical examination and talked about my history and decided that it was most likley a mild infection (as i experienced no pain, and had no fever and the ultrasound showed there was no presence of foreign objects or remaining tissue). he then checked my blood again and decided it was necessary i had a blood transfusion - they gave me two bags of blood and i spent another three days on a saline drip - the doctor has perscribed me with antiobiotics for two different types of infections (ones that live off oxygen and ones that do not) and i have also been perscibed blood thickening tablets to stop any bleeding) since being on these i have had small amounts of brown blood which the doctor thinks is normal and says is my period

- i have returned home now and seen my local gp just to see if she has any knowledge on what this could be and she believes that it was the fact i did not have a proper period and the fact i was going through multiple time zones very quickly that sent my hormones haywire so the blood clotted for a while inside me then when it came out there was bleeding from the uterus wall because of the clots and so when it finally started the bleeding was uncontrolable - and she says the only way to tell is to wait until my next period.

personally i am terrified - i have never seen so much blood in my life - tv, nothing - the clots i expelled fell on the floor and amounted to be the size of a small dog all together and i filled up bed sheets wrapped around me of blood - i want to thank whoever takes the time to read through this because it is so detailed. i am really anxious to know if this or anything similar has happened to anybody else, i've looked on the internet but haven't managed to find anything that sounds quite so intense.

thank you!!

OMG no that is not normal at all.  You need to stay with all the medical attention you can get. 

Yes I understand it's not common however I want to know if anyone has gone through anything similar?! - and I am getting thorough medical attention

i had a surgical abortion about two months ago. so finally two months after the abortion, i got my period( at least i think its my period) it has been two&half weeks, if not three weeks, & i am bleeding heavily and bleeding out a lot of clots. i dont know if this is normal or if i should go see a doctor???

....what shoud i do!?!?!?

Three months after an abortion I started dropping clots and bleeding severely a week after my period. I would soak my pants with blood down to my feet. I then used pads and soaked abnormally through them 10 fold. My ob/gun did an ultrasound and they found thickening in my uterus lining . He said it was related to the abortion. He ordered an endometrial ablation and d&c to fix this. The next day I went to work wearing pad and tampon and blood soaked through down my legs again 3 days later My OB performed the procedure. This scared and It stressed me out.

im currently going through something similar its been 2 months and im still bleeding ive got my first period and ive lost golf ball sized clots im worried somethings not right

This is happening to me right now. It has been two months since my abortion. I bled a little after then spotted. Thought I started my period in April and I bled for 2 weeks then stopped. Had an exam last week everything was fine. All of a sudden today exactly 2 months after I am bleeding profusely. I have gone through 1 tampon every 10 minutes and soaked through pad after pad.

I too experiencing this right now ended up in the hofpital yesterday lost so much blood was starting to faint they have no idea besides lady tells me she has never seen anyone lose this much blood!! I am very scared they put me on bed rest till next week

I know the feeling but im on bc pills now & my body i feel just went wako! I had the procedure the first week of july and i am still having to wear a panty liner.. Although there are days that its clear, i just never know.. So frustrating

When you are pregnat your body had a certain level of hcg hormone. After your abortion your body has to lower the levels of hcg until its gone, hcg is released through your uterus in clots. This happened to me twice at two and.four weeks after the abortion.. and.then stopped.

Hopefully the OP is still reading this. I've been incredibly disappointed with the lack of knowledge of and/or willingness to take responsibility for abortion complications in the medical world. The general consensus seems to be "You brought it on yourself, so suffer" with an added "We know nothing about the feedback system of the female reproductive system so we're just going to say "everything's just trying to sort itself out." I went to the ER, then to the clinic I had the procedure done at after losing pints of fist sized clots. Not quite as horrendous as you described, but enough to scare the living shite out of me and more than I had read about with other women who felt they were bleeding heavily. I was told "You terminated a pregnancy. Bleeding is going to happen." I asked what I should do if this happened again, as their literature stated it wasn't normal to be losing this much blood. The same condescending BS was just repeated louder. Here's my theory - The interior wall of the uterus is loaded with arteries. Just packed. When the placenta forms in the case of a pregnancy, blood passes through the wall of the uterus into the placenta and to the cord for the baby. It needs to be able to do this with an incredibly large amount of blood with very little resistance. After an abortion, the placenta is scraped away, opening up this wall of arteries or arterioles. It' doesn't seem to go through the normal healing process that other parts of your body would in the case of trauma. Probably largely due to the fact that there are loads of anti-clotting hormones to ensure the blood flows freely both during pregnancy and during a period. It's likely the uterus increases blood flow when it registers trauma, and yet there are still enough pregnancy hormones, and normal uterine hormones to prevent the blood from fully clotting and healing the damaged arteries. Every time it tries to clot, the clots inevitably peel away as your uterus contracts to get rid of them, and then the arteries are just opened right back up. Doctors don't want to say that they caused a significant and likely irreparable amount of damage to an organ that has very little ability to "just right itself." Asherman's syndrome, or the adhesion of parts of the uterine wall during healing is a very real possibility to look out for. Pro-lifers and their itching to find any excuse to make this practice illegal doesn't help with the honest dissemination of information, or the ability to get continuity of care. Frustrating. And scary. If you find out anything more, or can update your story, please let me know. Thanks and I hope you're good as new by now.

thank you to all who responded - i ended up being back in hospital after i posted this and everything has returned to normal - so i never checked my emails hence i did not notice the amount of responses. to anyone this is happening to go to your doctor - or call an ambulance and go to the hospital - however i will also stress that you do not need to worry - but you must seek medical attention. my experience ended up being that i still had some tissue left inside my uterus  after the abortion which was never removed properly - it took the doctors at a hospital in melbourne, VIC, AUS, multiple exams to figure this out (two days). When the bleeding began again, I did not visit any clinics in melbourne, i went straight to a melbourne hospital. I was told my bleeding was not fresh blood, however it was old blood - as my body had been trying to clean itself out since the abortion (however couldn't because of the left over tissue), and the clots i was seeing were caused by the blood accumulating over time. this was one of the most confronting experiences of my life, and it was severly uncomfortable and eye opening to the risks women take too often. i had to have a d&c to remove the tissue, and i have been healthy ever since, my cycles are normal - however after all of this, because of the constant blood loss every day which i was unaware of, my hemoglobin levels were low, so ensure that if this is happening to you that you have yourself tested for any deficiencies. i recommend going to a hospital rather than your original clinic or your family gp, because you will be seen by an expert, and if you're in a place like AUS, they make the effort to ensure that you won't be going home until you're healthy. most importantly the biggest lesson i learned in this ordeal was to respect my body more than anything else. it sounds so cliche but to any woman who reads this, wear protection, because the severity of the emotional and physical impacts are just not worth it. thank you to everyone who responded, and good luck to anyone who is going through anything similar, i hope you are all better soon. xxx

I had an abortion on november 14, 2012. i thought i had my period last month but i dont think i did and if i did it was not like this. it is tuesday night and i started cramping and bleeding sunday morning. i am soaking through everything and the clots are just falling out of me. more blood than i have ever seen and it looks like someone got murdered in my bathroom when i get off the toilet. i don't know if i should go to the doctor i just want this to stop. the cramps are so bad and the bleeding is horrible nothing that i have ever seen before. i have never seen so many blood clots in my life and i have never really had any blood clots before so its really scary. should i go to the doctor or will it just stop like if this is my perod? its just really scary and everyone says i'm fine and its normal after an abortion to bleed like this but i have had an abortion before. it was like 14 years ago but still this never happened so it cant just be something that happens to everyone after every abortion. should i go to a doctor or will it just stop and how long will this last? when i go to the bathroom i get so scared when the clots start just falling out of me, so so scary

Hey there guest poster above. I posted back in October after an abortion in August. I was having only a small amount of blood up until about 3 weeks after the procedure where I lost what sounds like a similar amount of blood as you over the course of a couple of days. It happened again 3 more times and the last two I found small pieces of pregnancy tissue with the clots and blood. You will know this tissue by it's color (greyish to mucousy green...I know, gross) and it's smell (even more gross) so keep a look out for that. After the last big bleeding bout, I was so worried it was going to happen again at any time. I continued to "spot," occasionally heavier like a light period, and then nothing for a day or two, and then spotting for weeks again. I spotted right up until 2 weeks ago (over 5 months after procedure) when I had what seemed like a normal period. Everything has stopped now. It's been about 6 weeks since yours, yes? I think it's likely you have some "retained tissues." A doctor, if they take you seriously at all, will want to go in and do a repeat procedure (and still may miss, like the other lady here). In my opinion, having gone through this and seen it to the end now, I would demand an ultrasound. If they don't find anything significant (they didn't with me, even though the pieces would have shown up if they actually looked for them) and as long as you are not feeling like you need a blood transfusion, you will get through it better off without involving doctors. Eat rare beef and leafy greens and bananas (iron and potassium), drink plenty of water, and have an orgasm from other means than penetration and go for walks to help expel what's still left inside. Other complications aside, your body knows how to take care of it.

OMG!! i had a surgical abortion on the 15th of November 2012. Reading your post is what has been happening with me within the last 3 weeks now. I have been clotting and cramping for the last 3days. Yesterday, which was the 17/01/2013 in the afternoon, i starting experiencing cramps in my stomach which reminded me of a contraction. Then i suddenly felt something down below as if i had a tampon on, but i didn't, just a sanitry pad. Anyway, i go to the bathroom sat on the toilet and felt something fall out of me. I take a look and start to freak out!! As to what it looked like, is as percribed in CALLMEV post!! (greyish to mucousy green like thingy) so im guessing it could be left over tissue from the Abortion. Today is 18/01/2013 and i am still experiencing cramps and little clotting & minor hedaches. The bloody colour has changed to brown, so heres hoping this will be over soon!!