My wife has had lower abdominal pain for the last few weeks. The pain usually hits when laying down to sleep. The duration is usually 2-4 hours. Lately the duration has been lasting longer and more pronounced (stabbing). The pain is now radiating down her right leg. Her Gyn thought it was adhesions. She had a lathroscopy to remove them but 4 weeks latter she is still in pain. She had her gallbladder removed 3 years ago. SHe has two previous episodes this past april and last october.She sees GI doctor in 2 days. Can anyone help us?

I have the same pain when i develop ovarian cysts. First I suffered in silence but then the pain became debilitating. I had an ultrasound, which revealed that I had cysts. The cysts are not always present and haven’t been showing up since I started taking birth control pills but before that I would be in so much pain before I would get my period. The pain also radiated into the groins and down the legs-depending on which side the cysts developed.
Ovarian cysts are usually self-limited and they form during ovulation and go away on their own in a three-month time tops. But they may form over and over again.
Sometimes they cause vaginal bleeding when the period is not due and all sorts of other problems.
It is certainly needed that she had this checked, I just thought I should share my experience with the similar symptoms. I hope everything turns out fine.

I don't know if your wife has had this taken care of or not but I thought I'd chime in. I had PCOS (cysts on the ovaries) and I met a wonderful doctor who had diagnosed me. I was large in size and so was my mom. After helping both of us get rid of this and treating it we were out of pain and are now a lot smaller in size. Women who are PCOS usually have very LONG and PAINFUL menstural cycles and are in a lot of pain inbetween them as well. They have no rhyme or reason. The way they are treating this is with glucophage, which is a diabetes medication. A LOT of doctors still do not believe in PCOS but I, and my mom, are here to atest that it is the real thing. So, if you decide to look into it, please make sure your endocrinologist and/or gynocologist believe in it.

Thanks for reading and good luck!!

I do not have an answer but I thought I might share my story. I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and I have been in silence about the dreadful and agonizing pain off and on since I was sixteen. I did not know what was always causing me the pain; because it would slowly leave after each cycle. But I would often have spotting going on when my cycle was not due to come on or two weks after it would go off. I have a question does the birth control the doctor prescribes for you work as far as decreasing the male hormones that supposedly causes the cysts to form? Becuase my pain feels like someone is grabbing the center of my stomach and is squeezing really tight to where I can not even move when the sharp pains hit me (literally). I have been looking up things on the Internet and several other topics come up such as a Hernia, Appenditicus, etc. so do you think that these topics are something that I should bring the doctor's attention.