I just was diagnosed dec2010 with Hashimoto's and a goiter in my neck. I just turned 22 in may. I just had a total thyroidectomy in june.
I've always been a tired person, but my pregnancy made it blow completely out of proportion, my tsh levels were 168 when I went in for seeing flashes of light and sleeping 16-18hrs a day. not to mention the weight gain. my normal weight before everything started happening was 150. I had gotten 230lbs 9mo pregnant, and then dropped down to 180 2mo after, i was doing awesome... then back up to 210 along with my added hashimoto's symptoms. (I suspected my thyroid because my mom mentioned her thyroid issues after having me)
  I'm on calcium now because my parathyroids were stunned and they havent started working completely yet. And 200mcg Synthroid.
I don't think the Synthroid dose is enough though. I was on 150mcg before surgery.
  Now I'm experiencing the extreme tiredness I was feeling before. I'm going to contact my doctor tomorrow about it, cause today was too much.
I'm just not feeling good- my body forces me into a fighting sleep state every day about two times once at noon and another at 3 or 4pm. then I can't go to sleep until 2am. I tried coffee today 2 strong cups, epic fail. It feels like I'd need 8 more to battle this sleep. I had a little hypersensitivity too like the week after, a little emotional, but it's gone away.
   I just wanted to share this to see if anyone is going/has gone through with this same thing. See what happened in your case. If you could post your story with Hashimoto's and your total thyroidectomy, it'd give me a little ease to what I'm going through. It's been a really fast paced treatment. I just want to hear from someone who knows what I'm going through... again I'm bringing this up to my endo tomorrow, I know that's the most important thing to do. I'm just looking for similar stories.

It took me well over a year after my total thyroidectomy to feel well again. I had my surgery in 2008, a hysterectomy in 2009 and in 2010 I started to regulary exercise and lost over 50 lbs. While all this was going on I was on 137 mg of levothyrocin and just now june 2011 they are lowering my meds to 125 mg cause they found I was overmedicated. Just in the last few months I have been battling with the wanting to sleep all the time too. Things I found to help me I got off all processed foods if it's not in the closest form of natural I don't eat it cause it's bad for you. No more soda, no caffeine, watch all sugars and high frutose corn syrups either. The more you can get your body to good going in the moods, sleep and weight will stablize. I was able to get off all meds until just recently except for they levothyroxin of course but with change slowly over time you will start to feel better.