Did the vitamin D help at all??

Is it possible you are allergic to the fabric? I discarded my memory foam pillow for a polyester one. It didn't improve, so I changed my cotton pillowcase for a polyester one. I haven't woken up in the night with it since. I believe that I have an underlying mold allergy that accounts for this. Cotton as a natural fabric is susceptible to mold spores. I also find that I have to avoid foods that have black mold (aspergillis niger) in them, any corn derivative such as maltodextrin, dextrose and citric acid (not citrict extract though, as that is from the fruit so is OK)

My ear pain while sleeping on my pillows , comes & goes.
I used to have a firm pillow for my neck, but now I stack a few soft pillows ,& punch in an area where my ear will be. Takes the pressure off my ear.
Another thing that works...using a squishy travel pillow to support my neck & lift my ear off the pillow.
Every night something different works.
For the past month , though, no pain at night sleeping on my pillows.
I am trying to to take a few anti-inflammatory herbal pills to see if they will help out, Turmeric, Frankincense, Ginger herbal caps.

This is so me ! What the heck is going on its the most throbbing pain you can feel like your ear has a heartbeat. Ive been dealing for about 3-4 yrs Doctor say they can't see anything abnormal I can go to an ENT but I have no sinus issues .Oh my hearing is a little lower in that same right ear.Smh!!

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I now use a super soft pillow on top of my regular one which helps alleviate some of the pressure.

New Member
I've had pain in my ear "cartilage" on both sides for approximately the last six years. The parts of my ear that stick out furthest hurt the most. Pressure is definitely involved. I do what a lot of you do - use a soft down pillow and make hollows in it for my ears. However, the pain often gets so bad that not even that helps. Then, sometimes, the pain will get better for a while by itself. After six years of searching, I received a diagnosis yesterday that makes sense. I was diagnosed with neuralgia of the nerves in my head / face. Several of these nerves affect the ear and can cause ear pain. I was told that I have "trigeminal neuralgia" and maybe "glossopharyngeal neuralgia." By now, I have other symptoms too, besides the ear pain, and much of my pain has become constant. This problem can get worse. It can make your life very difficult, with tremor, twitching, tinnitus, and muscle spasms that won't let go, all caused by nerve problems (as far as I understand it). The pain can be treated with medications like carbamazepine. I think it's important to find out the cause of the neuralgia. I was told that my pain is not being caused by a TMJ disorder, clenching, or Eagle syndrome. I don't know what is causing my neuralgia and I don't have any treatment yet. I was diagnosed by a highly-educated dentist who specializes in facial pain. If you can find a good neurologist, he / she may be able to help you too. This isn't easy an easy journey. Don't give up. Keep trying.

New Member

My night-time ear cartilage pain has actually been much better for a while. It isn't gone, but I've only been noticing it if I put a great deal of pressure on the side of my head, for example when lying on my stomach with my head turned to one side. I don't normally do that. Well, I just woke up with this ear pain again! As I woke up, I could tell that I was clenching my teeth together. When I woke up, the muscles at the sides of my neck seemed to have shortened/stiffened. I think I've read that this can happen as a result of clenching. I use a night guard, but it doesn't prevent clenching. Now I'm wondering whether the dentist I recently visited may have been mistaken. He said that my clenching is the result of pain from my neuralgia, but in no way is clenching the cause of my pain. I had quite a lot of tea today, which is something I rarely do anymore. I got a lot of work done. It seems like exactly the kind of day that invites clenching. Caffeine increases muscle tension. You may want to try avoiding caffeine completely and see if it helps. I use Plackers Grind No More Dental Night Protectors. They're reusable for weeks at a time and therefore quite inexpensive. When the one you're using gets too floppy or otherwise worn out, you throw the old one out and use a new one from the package. They're small and fairly comfortable. While you may still clench, at least the surface you clench on is a bit softer. A previous dentist told me that it's good that a night guard makes you sleep with your mouth open a tiny bit because it "decompresses" the area around the TM joint, which contains nerves. Clenching is a known cause of neuralgia. He said that many people clench without having any idea that they're doing it. A sleep lab can apparently check whether you're clenching. There's a lot of good material online about this problem. I feel a little disappointed in this most recent dentist. He was extremely expensive. I feel that he didn't look into my problem thoroughly enough. For instance, he didn't ask how my problems began or what symptoms I may already have had for decades. I've gone through many stages of shifted bite, swelling under my jaws, etc., during the past two years, which are no longer evident now but are part of what I have going on. I have been told many times that I don't have TMJ disorder, even by one dentist who told me, "Clenching is the cause of all your problems." In my geographic area, clenching (and its consequences) is apparently not considered a form of TMJ disorder. Online, clenching / bruxism is often considered a type of TMJ disorder, at least as far as I remember from previous reading. Now I'm very confused. Is my problem just from clenching or do I have some kind of nerve illness? The inside of my mouth hurts so badly that I've been almost unable to speak for the past year and a half. How do I stop clenching? I've been using a night guard for over a year and have done everything I can to not clench, but my symptoms continue.