Help, my 12 year old daughter is suffering with upper abdominal pain after she eats any type of food, from a biscuit to a big meal. She has been suffering with this for 3 weeks now. She has been in hospital and had numerous blood tests, x ray and ultrasound and all have come back negative. She also had an ECG. As soon as she eats breakfast she will have pain an hour later. She is curled up in pain and her chest feels tight. Sometimes she feels she can not breathe. The doctor has put her on anti acids 40mg a day and have told us to give it 6 weeks!!!! ( He is treating her for Gastritis but says she doesn't have the right symptoms!!!!!!) She can not go to school because of health and safety and her collapsing when she has a pain (thats how severe it is). She also has a really bad pain 6 in a row sometimes every night between 11 and midnight. We are so stressed, and feel helpless. I have also started giving her Magnesium and Bi Fibre tablets to help.

I would be grateful for any information.

I’m sorry that your daughter and you have to go through this, she’s just too young for something like this to make sense. Has the doctor said anything about her diet? How is her appetite? I know I wasn’t able to eat much, I was just scared that it would hurt later, but of course you have to eat. And it’s really important what and how she eats – it has to be in small meals, but more often and nothing after 8 at night. This doesn’t remove the cause of the problem, but at least she won’t be in pain.
Was she tested for Helicobacter pylori? It’s a bacteria that causes most of this type of stomach problems and it’s definitely treatable. And you’re right, your daughter symptoms don’t fit gastritis, but it seems like even the doctor doesn’t want to admit that because your daughter is only 12. Try to get her tested for this if she wasn’t already, there must be some reason for this pain.
Six weeks of those pills is common in cases like this, those are not old fashioned antacids and they definitely help in protecting stomach lining.

Many thanks for your reply. She was tested for the bacteria and it came back negative My daughter also had the 2nd Cervarix injection 2 days before she had the first pain. I have been reading loads of information about this jab and the side effects that children have had. I wonder if this has caused the problem. I mentioned it to the Doc but he didn't think so, but also said it was quite new so couldn't be ignored. I will find out about the blood tests and will let you know. How long did this problem last with you?

Is she getting any better? It’s not like it’s hard to write you what I know, really, if it can help, the better.
I didn’t know much about Cervarix until now, I researched it a little bit and definitely, in official warnings stands:
“Cervarix side effects may include: pain, swelling, or redness where the shot was given; headache, tired feeling; joint or muscle pain. runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough;
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain; menstrual pain”
Worth looking into, your doctor will, of course, know a lot more. I can’t even guess how the vaccine can do this, but it seems like it definitely can.
I’m sure your daughter doesn’t have what I do, it just seems so impossible even though I’m. It started with gastritis/GERB (that’s what I thought she had because symptoms are the same) and it progressed into ulcer, all in matter of two months. Causes are still unknown – it wasn’t the bacteria, and the whole thing is unexplained because I’m not that old too and they don’t know how that happened. So I needed a surgery and it’s now ok, more or less, as long as I stick with diet.

She is getting worse and the pain is getting more severe than before. She even had an attack before breakfast which is very unusual. She is going for a endoscopy on Friday, so lets hope something shows up so they can treat her. All her blood tests have come back normal.

I was hoping that somehow something changed for the better. Wish it hasn’t gone even worse than it was before. At least there is one good thing - they probably eliminated bunch of possible severe conditions – something would have turned up in blood test results. Did they think about the possibility that she might be allergic to something, similar to Coeliac disease (wheat allergy) or lactose intolerance? I’m not suggesting that it’s either of those, but I now that some allergies are not discovered until later in life because they don’t show much signs until they start to cause damage to body. I hope endoscopy does show anything, she suffered more than most adults would be able to handle. Let me know what happened, if you catch time sometimes

Hi, my daughter had the endoscope and all the results came back clear, so I have done some more research and have found Precordial Catch Syndrome or Texidor Twinge which is common in children and adolscents. It is exactly what my daughter has with out a doubt so I will be taking her to the doctors on Monday and see what they say. I just can't understand why the doctors didn't think about this in the first place. I kept telling them that she didn't suffer with heartburn and the pain was around her chest. The only problem is there is no cure I have found some tablets for her to try which I will get if the doc agrees.

I’ve looked it up – this disease is not considered to be dangerous, only troubling and scary. And it’s hard to blame the doctors for not thinking about that option – they must first eliminate severe possibilities and then turn to other ones, even to not so common conditions. And it does help that you are trying your best to find out all you can so you could point them in other directions. But tpain that is characteristic for this condition is stabbing, and from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. I thought that her pain is more of the constant. But every stomach option – gastritis, which as it turns out doesn’t mean heartburn unlike GERD, infection…are overruled because damage they cause would be definitely visible through endoscope. And I still think that that herpes vaccine is worth investigating. What did doctors say about that possibility, except that it’s worth considering? Perhaps there is some way to check about that also.

Hi, thanks for your reply, my daughter is still getting the attacks, they do last about 30sec to a few mins but she was having them quite frequent, she is not having them so much now about 4 to 5 a day instead of the 8 to 10, but they seem to be more intense. I have seen the doctor who had never heard of this condition but agreed with me that the symptoms did sound the same so she is going to speak to the pedatrician and see what they say. I found one web site where over 50 people people had written in to say they had suffered and were relived to find out that they weren,t the only ones suffering, the only problem is that some of them have suffered all their lives, which is a worry.
I am still considering the HPV jab, but have no clue how to pursue this.

I dont know if it is exactly the same bt my wife has the same symptoms. he is feeling ok until she eats. within 30 minutes to an hour later she ill have severe upper abdoinal pain that causes vomiting anis so intense se cant breath or evenhardly move although she is somewhat lder than your daughter the descriptions are ear identicl. we too hvebeen to hspitials, doctors and she has been iven various meds but nothing eems to resove the problem on doctor even told her it was a metal issue. should you find a cause and cure we would like to hear from you, Hope your daughter gets better

my 14 year old son is having these awful pains after eating so I took him to urgent care and they ordered an ultrasound. That ultrasound showed an enlarged liver. I don't know if this helps you....I am trying to figure out if this is the actual cause or symptom. Docs are all about treating the symptoms instead of finding a cause or solution.

debbsm:  i know its been quite some time since your post, however, i am curiuos if there was any solution to your daughter;s pain.. My 15 yrs is experiencing the same sysmptom and as yours all blood work test, ekg, ultrasound, endoscopy are negative. i am as you were in a very frustrated stressful period. just looking to see if any one has found any solution to this condition.

Hi, I know this post is old, but seen that you recently posted so I thought I would respond, My daughter will be 17 in two months, I have been going through this stomach pain for years with her, to make a long story short, it started with bladder spasm's at age 8, she had her uretha's fixed, the bladder spasm's never went away, they still exsist and are very painful, almost two years ago, they finally dianosed her with IC or painful bladder, so we have to watch her diet closely, that was a relief to at least have a diagnoses, but the spasm's are still present, she has been on a school doctors not for years. last year they went in to look around the bladder etc. and found her appendix were bad and removed it, she has lost so much weight they started saying she was bulemic and anorexic, which is not the case, she was put on meds to gain weight and had gained quite a bit, but had to take her off due to other side effects, and now shes losing weight again pretty fast, shes in pain everyday and has severe depression and anxiety, they say the pain is due to the depression or in her head, i say the depression is from the pain, she has not had a good quality of life and has for several years now withdrawn from people, she says she doesnt know when the pain will hit and would rather be at home if it does, she has had every test known to man kind, I am so worried about her, could this be something unknown and just have to live with for life?

Hi I was just wondering how your daughter is getting on? My son is also suffering terribly from these problems and is awaiting an endoscopy as a matter of urgency. I am so stressed with the situation and I am so worried that they will tell me all is fine as I can't cope seeing him in so much pain. I would love to hear if you have had a successful outcome.

My daughter is 40 and struggles like this!! NO ANSWERS....she is discouraged because people do not believe her! She is coming to her ropes end. My daughter was diganoised with Gastroparesis and SMA stomach syndrome!!!!