Could anyone explain to me why do I feel jaw pain when eating? I suffer for years now from this jaw pain but recently it became sometimes unbearable especially when eating so I choose very carefully what I eat because I try so hard to escape jaw paint. I even lose weight for this reason. I wonder if jaw pain when eating might be related to some serious condition and what has caused it?

Hi there! Maybe I could be of some help for I know something about those weird symptoms you have. Actually my ex colleague had the same problem and I remember her eating only some salads and “mild” meals for the terrible jaw pain she had especially when eating. She was diagnosed with TMD-temporomandibular disorder which is a term that describes whole spectrum of medical and dental condition that attacks primarily the jaw joint and the muscles, nerves and tendons around. But it took years for her to be diagnosed precisely for the fact that there’re whole bunch of factors that may cause jaw pain such as arthritis or Lyme disease, but also psoriasis and other skin conditions, some trauma or injury might also trigger the permanent jaw pain and it is also proven that jaw pain is more common in woman than in man probably due to a hormonal changes for it is also noticed that jaw pain might get worse while pregnancy. Anyway my colleague had injured her head and for that reason she was on MRI and that’s when docs actually find out what might be the real cause of her jaw pain- there was something totally wrong with some bone inside her head that is connected to the jaw anyway I don’t know how to explain but if your jaw pain is followed by headache or migraines, dizziness or your ears also hurt or you feel ringing ears maybe it’s time to check it out and why not do even MRI.

My girlfriend began feeling jaw pain yesterday during lunch. The problem persists even now. She has not recently had any major surgery or any medical conditions. She also lacks funds to visit her dentist, but I suggested it may be a bad cavity. She doesn't feel it all the time, just when she eats or brushes her teeth. Touching her cheek does not stimulate pain.

Does anyone know whats wrong with her? :-(

Hi, my father, daughter and I have this problem too but it is always advisable too see a physician. I was told by a medical person yesterday that the pain is a neural problem and was given some prednison tabs, pain killers and vitamins (I got some relief). My father has hodgkins cancer but we are yet to look for a very costly drug from America or elsewhere which can totaly eliminate the hodgkins disease.