I had a Bartholin Cyst Marsupalization 3 weeks and 2 days ago. Just want to know if anyone knows how long it takes before I can have intercourse again. My husband and I desperately want to conceive and feel like this has interfered with our plans. Please reply and speedy recovery to everyone.

i had a Bartholin Cyst Marsupalization 4 weeks ago. now after 4 weeks, i have painfull intercourse which is really hurting my husband and i. can anyone tell me why it is so painful. before the swole of the bartholin cyst and before i have the Marsupalization, i never had pain while intercourse.
please helpp me if you know anything.

I'm having the same problems, and am very frustrated/concerned at the lack of answers I'm getting ANYWHERE. I had a second Bartholin's Gland surgery (this time the Marsupalization) in February, and my husband and I tried to have sex for the first time about a week ago, and it was extremely painful. I was concerned about the pain for future sex and for the possibility of having a baby/getting pregnant, so I called my doctor. She said the internal pain I was feeling was most likely permanent, and that if we were serious about having a baby the only feasible way was to get these numbing shots in the surgical area. The shots last between 1 & 3 months, but it would mean I would have to get these shots for the rest of my life!! This little "side effect" definitely was NOT mentioned pre-surgery..either time. Since then I've been searching the internet for some answers or other explanations, but I haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone else had their doctor tell them something similar? To the previous posters: are you still having pain during sex? Have you found any answers or anything that helps? I am beyond desperate for answers and help.

Same here. It's been about 5 weeks from marsupalization drainage and I have lost my sex drive because I am so nervous for the pain. I have tried having sex a couple times with my boyfriend and it is not enjoyable anymore. I have no idea where to find answers. I think the surgery I went through was just so dramatic and painful, I am terrified to do anything down there. I am soo frustrated and sad because I used to have such a great healthy sex life. Will I be in pain during sex for the rest of my life? Any help would be appreciated...

I had my op about a month ago, we haven't tried sex yet. Apparently the pain is due to the skin having been stretched. I was advised that if sex was painful they could carry out a procedure to dialate the area. Maybe ask your doctor about this procedure.

i had the same  done in oct 2011 and still am scared to try sex..my sex drive has totally dissapeared ,,is this normal ....????? i just don't feel comfitable to be touched there ...:(

Hello Everyone!

I know it's hard to find answers on this HORRIBLE! life sucking Cyst. I can tell you though that I had my REMOVAL of the gland back in May 2011 and I'm happy. I'm not ECSTATIC! and let me tell you why.

I didn't really have a problem with my doctor even though he was extremely busy every time I seen him because he's an On Call birthing doctor. I seen him for 4 years before I decided to get this done (not him, me) I told him and he said I had to have the cyst in "full swing" otherwise he couldn't get "all of the gland." So once I was having an abscess we went in and got that little trouble maker out. Ladies let me tell you, my vagina look like a train wreck for about a month. It was extremely bruised, honestly it looked like it got hit by a semi truck and the pain was incredible for the first few days. I only took 2 weeks off of work, which is fine for me because after 2 weeks I was so use to being in pain it didn't matter to me anymore. I did end up having an infection because apparently 5-6 sitz baths a day wasn't enough. But this was back in May 2011 and now it's the middle of Feb 2012. I have no more symptoms today other then I am a bit numb. The numbess and on my labia closet to my vaginal opening. It doesn't bother me but sometimes I notice it if I don't shaved down there for a while.

My only concern is that I think because of all this horrible vagina draining, marsupilizations and then FINALLY the removal my sex drive has went to from "HERO TO ZERO" (I love quotations) I don't wanna be touched down there and I just feel like my vag is nothin but ugly. I use to think it was totally awesome until this happened. I just turned 24 years old. This is just fair warning for some of you. Sometimes I hear people say they don't have this problem, others do. I think it's all about your mindset as well.  I think I'll come back around eventually. I know this sounds weird but I've been thinking about going to a sexual health therapist.

As far as having sex after this (this goes for marsupilizations AND removal of the gland), as long as you don't have anymore stitches and YOU feel comfortable...there's been times where I thought I was comfortable, then he entered me and I was like NO NO NO NO and we stopped. There is no set time frame. There also shouldn't be any real serious pain  and if there is you're NOT ready. I have that numbness but that doesn't bother me while I'm having sex.

I've been through almost everything with a Bartholin cyst. I left out A LOT about my experiences with ER, Clinics, etc. If you ever wanna talk about this  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks,

Ashley

I just left the doctor and I have been told to get a marsupilization or removal. Im 27 and I want to get married and have kids. How does this affect your sex life? Since the gland is in charge of lubrication; will I have to buy lubricants the rest of my life? I dont mind surgery, I just want to know which will effect my sex life and dating.

I had my op 14 months ago and am still experiencing pain during intercourse. My doctor says its vaginismus (sp?) and is partially psychosomatic i.e. I expect there to be pain, so I tense up, thus making it painful. I find this hard to believe. I really hope this is not going to last forever.

I had my cyst for about 18 months without a problem then all of a sudden it grew to the size of an egg within 2 days! It was so painful I had to go to the Emergency department and as it turns out have the op to Marsupalise it, my docs say that it was one of the worst they had seen. 
I think because I was in so much pain before that after the op it was such a relief that I have barely any pain. I had my op 4 days ago and not only do I feel fine but I am keen for intercourse, however refraining due to the stitches and also my boyfriend won't let me disobey doctors orders ha ha. I will def try as soon as the stitches dissolve though and i guess will have to see how it all goes.

i've had my Bartholin cyst operation done today! and i just found out i'd have to wait 6-8 weeks before intercourse.. im going on a honeymoon vacation in 3 weeks!! wish i knew that before the surgery i woulda've changed the date!!! but its already done :(im seeing the doctor the day before the vacation flight to see if i still have a chance to have sex then.. is there any women who had this done to them and had sex without any problems after 3 weeks?my cyst was about an inch in diameter, but didn't cause any pain.. and after the surgery it has been stinging and burning but that seems to go away pretty fast compared to what i felt earlier today (i only had the pain relief pill once)..

the doctor also told me to use a bath with salt but not cooking salt.. she said the name of it right before they put me on anaesthetics, so i was naturally a bit nervous and forgot the kind of salt she suggested.. has anyone done that to clear any possible infections after the operation?any answer would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hey ;) i'm 18 years old and i had my bartholin cyst operation about 2 months ago. The cyst didnt hurt or anything but it was quite big and ugly. The doctor just opend the cyst with an operation and didn't close the wound, because the cyst has to heal from the inside out. The doctor told me that i could have intercourse again between 1 or 2 weeks after the marsupalization. 12 days after the operation i had intercourse again and it went perfectly fine. It was only after intercourse that the spot felt a little bit bruised but i did not have a lot of pain. Now, 2 months after the operation i still have pain after intercourse. I think it is best to wait with intercourse till the wound is really healed because i dont think it does any good for the wound. But of course it is not easy to wait that long. I think that it is best to wait because the cyste is coming back now. Last week the wound suddenly burst and a lot of mucus and blood came out, so i think that the gland is still constipated after the operation. I  think that if its really constipated the operation won't really help because if the wound has healed the glade will still be constipated and the cyst will come back again. Has anyone had this problem as well? 

greets, Melanie

Hi, I also have dealt with recurring Bartholin cysts. I have had 4 marsupializations and just had an excision about a week and a half ago. For me the marsupialization surgery was easy. I tended to feel alright between 3 and 4 days. I did not have to wait 6-8 weeks to have sex after this surgery. I probably waited between 3 and 4 weeks. However, if you experience the slightest pain during intercourse don't push it. Let yourself heal. I have also used salt in my sitz baths. I felt my cyst inflame once when I was on vacation in Jamaica and to my surprise it went away. I concluded it must the salt water. So whenever I felt it inflame, I added salt (I just used sea salt) to my baths. I tried to have 3-4 sitz baths a day until it went away. This worked for me a few times (unfortunately not the most recent flare up). I never tried it after surgery.

hi, im 23 and have had this operation twice within 7 months, first went well and was able to have sext after a week and a half, but the second time they done it different and i couldnt have sex for between 4 and 8weeks and even at that it was painful still to this day i have a lot of pain during sex, i wasnt told about the painful intercourse prior to either of my ops. ther is an injection that you can have to numb the area but u would be best waitin til its healed properly as you wouldnt feel anything and could end up tearing. all i can advise is trial and error, try it if it hurts stop give it a couple of days and try again :)

I'm happy to report that the above-mentioned pain is now history! I was put on hormone replacement (Oestrogen) by the same doctor who said it was vaginismus, and within a week, the pain was gone. Hope this news helps someone, just to know that it eventually goes away.