I have a problem with my vulva which appeared 5 days ago. On the right side under the outer labia there seems to be some kind of a bump approximately ½ of an inch in diameter which hurts very much if I touch it. As a result of that I can't sit properly and its very uncomfortable. I have also noticed some kind of a yellowish discharge from my vagina. I have had gonorrhea before that but the doctor that treated me said that it was cured after he gave me antibiotics. What could this bump be and how do I get rid of it?

You probably have what is called a Bartholin’s cyst. That is a bubble like formation that had formed under your skin within your Bartholin’s glands. It is filled with liquid, a secretion produced by those glands. The cyst itself is formed when the tubes which are used to excrete the liquid into your vulva are blocked for any reason. It prevents the liquid form being excreted thus producing a bubble like formation called the cyst. The treatment of the Batholin’s cyst may include antibiotic therapy but if that doesn’t help the only solution would be the surgical removal of the affected Bartholin’s gland. If you are over fourty and if you already had problems with vaginal infections the surgical removal is recommended by most experts to rule out the possibility of cancerous alteration of the surrounding cells. You should consult your physician about this and follow his or hers advice about all this.

my question is what are the all possible remedies or treatment for cyst formation on the ovary. As in due to the formation of cyst, the egg is not drying up and hence their in a problem occouring in the pregnancy. So can u plz forward me the solution to this problem.What treatment should be taken for it/. Is it valid to remove the ovary? or is there some alternative solution to this problem? my age is 26.and already doctor had removed my one ovary. But again the cyst started forming on the other ovary.so please reply to my question as soon as possible.Can u suggest some good hospital or doctor. If possible ,kindly send us there web sites or address or contact number.....thankyou

I got a bartholin cyst during my first pregnancy. It was lanced and catherdered. Alomosst 4 years latter it reoccured. It was the size of a golf ball, and located in the left gland. Because it blocked secreations and fluid into the gland I became brick dry. I didn;t want to go to the doctor, because I didn't want to experience the pain of a knife at the area. I placed a witch hazel hemmeroid pad on the bubble like bulge, and it completely burst and continued to drain. Now their is a pea sized hardened knot in this area. What should I do?

There are a lot of women out there suffering from bartholin cysts. You are not alone. There is an online group that you might find helpful and it is totally free. It is called the bartholin cysts support group. It is a place for women to go to support each other, share their experiences and exchange home remedies. Just go to this site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bartholincysts

About 5 years ago I found a lum on my vagina and went to a sexual health clinic, where I was told it was a bartholin cyst and that there was no real cause or treatment.

From searching on the internet I see tat my cyst is a lot smaller than others, but can get very painful.

Since that time I have had repeated bouts of bartholin cysts - sometimes they burst an excrete puss, other times they just go away - always they are very uncomfortable. I went back to he clinic and they did a test for ghonnorea and chlamydia which both came back clear.

I have now noticed that I am getting cysts almost every time I get by period.

But now I am no longer sure it is a bartholin cyst, as I have three separate lumps on the right hand side (the top one is very large and painful, the middle one getting that way and the bottom one small and tender) and a medium sized, painful lump on the left hand side of my vagina. I also have a similar painful lump above my vagina in the hair on the public bone.

Can anyone advise what this could be and a course of action?

Bartholin's cysts are treated primarily in conventional methods via an antibiotic to prevent local infection or sepsis. If they do not burst on their own, it is then either spliced and catheterized for drainage or the entire bartholin's gland may be removed. Although other, less invasive, methods are available to help treat this acute occurrence, it is more important to ask why. The cause to be exact.

I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist to 'play tag' with your hormones. Often a hyper-androgenous state, caused by things such as PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and Cushing's disease, can cause the bodies natural secretions to become viscous (thick) and thus easily clog passages. When drainage is impaired, and the gland is still producing it's naturally excreted substance, a cyst or abscess may form. This could include cystic acne, bartholin's cysts and sebaceous cysts (sebaceous glands found in high quantity in the axilla, groin and face.

I hope this answers some questions.

Nortrel and Bartholin Cyst
I have a abscess because of the Bartholin gland. Its extremely painful to walk, sit, sleep...and I'm a newlywed so thats the cherry on top-no action!

I have been on 4 different kinds of birth control for 10 years. In Feb 09, I had to switch to a 'plain vanilla' birth control which worked fine!! In June, my pharmacy had to switch the generic birth control to Nortrel. In July, I had a BC that came and went on its own. At the time, I didnt know what it was and thought I had hurt a ligament in the groin area. Now, the pain is back and its been stealing my life for over a week.

After my experience of being on birth control for 10 years and having been sexually active during that time, I have no choice but to think that the Nortrel has something to do with my BC. I recently read the pharmacy's insert that comes along with the Nortrel and low and behold the side effects are "pain/swelling/warmth in the groin", "increased vaginal fluids, vaginal discomfort/irritation" ....

The Bartholin gland produces some fluids especially during sexual activity..Im just wondering if Nortrel increases that to the point where it could cause gland issues. Please respond if you think you may be affected by your birth control pill...

i think hormones/BC have contributed to mine. my first and worst bout occurred on the patch. i had a recurrence during pregnancy, then once i was no longer pregnant and off all hormonal BC, i had no issues with them. they recurred again once i was back on the pill...

While you're seeking treatment, you should drink apple cider vinegar. It does help within a few days. Sitz baths help as well, but I would try to drink apple cider vinegar (with water) on a daily basis. If the infection is not too painful, maybe rub some of the apple cider vinegar into that area as well. Do this with caution depending on the size and how much it hurts. I've been suffering with this for 3 years and don't have insurance. I know exactly how you feel.

MUCINEX REALLY WORKS!!!! I developed a bartholin cyst in March 2013. After a bunch of hot baths and compresses and no luck of the cyst goin away I became very depressed. Lookin on the internet added to my depression seeing that nowhere had a cure for these things. In the middle of June the cyst absessed and I had to go to the ER and was told I had to get it cut. I cryed like a baby. I got a shot of lidocaine and was cut with a scalpel which gave me immediate relief. The doctor inserted a catheter and told me it was supposed to stay in 4 weeks. It fell out and I was back there the next day. The doctor decided not to put it back in and recommended hot compresses and baths. It took exactly a month to heal and I was back to my normal self. 3 months later its back again, and after a week compresses it was gone. Two weeks later I got another 1 so I desperately looked on the internet for home remedies. I came across a forum where a lady said she used Mucinex on two different occasions to get rid of her bartholin cyst. She said she took 1 a day for 10 days, and it decreased day by day till it was gone. I figured it was worth a try because it is known for loosening and thinning mucus. I went to Rite Aid got sum Mucinex pills which I took 1 a day and a week later it was gone. FINALLY something that works, I am so relieved, no longer do I feel like a weirdo for having these things. I just wanted to spread the good news. Nobody should have to deal with this and the thought of getting my privates cut again is literally devasting! I am gonna start taking Mucinex every other day to prevent future occurences. Hopefully this works for you like it did for me. P.S-Try not to have sex for a week while starting the pills *Mucinex 12 hr extended release bi-layer tablet 600 mg guaifenesin

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi shida! I have a similar problem and a FIRST experience of BC.. Can say I hated it already. My OB specialist recommended to undergo marsupilazation (and yes, all my 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion all vouched for the surgery) but deep down, I was in a great dilemma.. Surely there was other form of treatment BUT surgery.. Thankfully, my boss adviced to do conventional treatment like sitz bath and allow nature take its course. Still feeling confused, I began my crusade with the internet to look for cure and came to learn about 2 treatments that would cure - Mucinex and Silica. Unfortunately, the Super Silica Complex I can only get through Amazon and the shipping price are hefty!! So... not such a good idea.. Then comes Mucinex.. I managed to call the company that produces the medication right down to the middle man who distributes to supermarket / pharmacies. So yesterday, I went and got myself 2 tabs (20 pills) of Mucinex! Just like yours, 12 hour extended (in fact I had already purchased and only read your post today! So thankgod it was the same version!) So I have started taking last night and today morning.. I am so keeping my finger crossed that it'll work and I will come back again after 10 days to give my testimony!

Did the mucinex work for you? I just got the super silica complex and haven't seen a change at all. I've been fighting with the barthloin cyst for about 3 years. I've had ballon catheter and I've had the surgery and nothing seems to work its back months later. It never burst. It gets small and then bigger. For the last month it's been the size of a golfball and now hurts to sit. I can't deal with it any more and refuse to get the surgery done again

I have been using witch hazel and tea tree oil I put it on there then place a coton ball over it between my labia to keep it dry and I goes away in 2-5 days depending on how bad it is

I've been suffering with a Bartholin's cyst for 5 days. It started hurting pretty badly yesterday, feeling achy and stinging, so I called my GYN to see what I should do. While waiting for a return call, I read about the Mucinex treatment, so I decided to give it a try. Last night and this morning, the pain was worse than ever, so I decided to have a soak in the tub. I had pulled my leg up to shave theback of my thigh, and and that seemed to do the trick! The cyst apparently unclogged, and has been draining for the past two hours. Instant relief! It's not completely gone, but the pain is so much better, and there's much less pressure and achiness. I don't know if it was the Mucinex that helped, or if it would have unclogged by itself, but nothing seemed to help before I took it. It's worth a try!