Because of the tonsil stones/particles in my throat for months, i too had a tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago. It was not near as bad as I had read, however I was determined to have a quicker recovery. Therefore, I did just as told, and drank almost a gallon of fluids everyday (any kind). While day 3-5 was by far the worst and I almost lost my voice just b/c of the healing process, I learned not talking caused less pain. I did take my pain meds every 4 hours and was able to eat very soft foods even on day 2. During the night, I even sat the alarm and took my meds which made morning much easier waking up. However, my doctor did not inform me that all the pain meds would/could completely stop or slow down my digestive tract, which I have just learned is very common from any pain meds. Therefore, I was unable to use the bathroom and have a BM for over 12 days. Needless to say, way too long. Now it has caused severe problems and I'm having to see a specialist possibly for surgery. So my recommendation is to begin taking a stool softener and a powder laxative (Miralax, benefiber, etc.) within a few days if you experience any of this. This is by far the most excrutiating pain I have ever had in my life, even after birthing two children, one of which was very difficult. I know this isn't how every person's body responds, but just beware and proactive before the problem begins. Every doctor has now told me, regardless the surgery, anytime you are on pain meds, this is a side effect of it slowing down the digestive tract. Overall, the actual tonsillectomy was not bad at all. Just drink those fluids!!!

Thank you for sharing such valuable information with us. I am sure many readers will find this very helpful.

I am really glad that you posted this and your experiences because I don't think a lot of people on here know what a typical tonsilectomy is supposed to be like. I think that it's good that you acknowledged what's normal and what's not too, just for our benefit there. Thank you for posting this and I hope you do more soon.