So, I got a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on May 20th, 2013. And let me tell you I AM SO MISERABLE. I haven't been able to eat anything since the day of my surgery, and I'm lucky if I can get 8oz of water down in a day. I've been trying to force more liquids down, and as of today I've eaten 5 Popsicles, and drinken about 8oz of Gatorade, but thats all I'm able to even try because it hurts so bad to swallow. My pain medicine helps for like 3 hours at a time, but I can only take it every 4 hours. So every 3 hours I sit in complete misery for about an hour. I try to keep an ice pack on my neck a lot of the time, and keep a humidifier going more often than not, and they help a bit. But not nearly as much as I had hoped. I try to sleep as much as possible, and when I'm not sleeping force fluids, but neither of those work out well either. Does anyone have any tips at all on how I can start to feel better faster? I've been living like this since the morning of May 20th, and I am very done. I can't handle much more of this. :(

Health Advisor

Hello, heathernichole.

Although I cannot solve your problem (it really takes time for pain to vanish) I can give you some tips which my sister used after hers tonsillectomy (she had it in 2009). 

First of all, you need to drink a lot of water. Not juices, milk or soda, just water, and don't use a straw. You can try adding jelly, pudding and yogurt in your eating schedule. Eat and drink as slow as you can and try to swallow very carefully. 

Second, prepare yourself on more pain. She was in pain for about a month after the surgery. I know it sounds scary, but you must accept it. Go with the flow, try to think on something different apart of pain, keep your mind busy. 

And, just to let you know. My sister had some blood clots which she was coughing out. Doctor said to her that's something normal for adult tonsillectomy so, if you experience anything similar, don't panic. But, visit a doctor, just to be sure.

I hope that some of this can help you. If you have any more questions, feel free to post it. Cheers!