can anybody help me understand why it is that i only bite my nails when they reach a certain length i am at my most vulnerable when relaxing with drinking alcohol certain wines also affect me more than others and i dont know why or what wines are the worst.

when the urge comes to bite them no matter how hard i try i am totally powerless to do anything to stop myself biting them then regret it afterwards.

how can i break this chain that has blighted me now for all my life i am 63 years old.

thanks in anticipation john.

Hi John,

If you only bite them when they get to a certain length, how about keeping them short & cutting them before they get to that particular length?

It sounds as if your nail biting is anxiety related & despite alcohol being a depressant (so in theory, should relax the autonomous nervous system), it can cause anxiety-related behaviour, especially if the person is not a regular drinker. You write that it seems worse with certain types of wine- could there be a relationship between the alcohol volume and/or content of the wines & your nail-biting?

Different reactions to different wines is not uncommon. Personally, I can't drink red wine; it gives me heart palpitations, makes me blush and gives me a headache.  

Ensuring your nails don't get to the length that bothers you and perhaps, keeping to low alcohol drinks may help.

Good luck

V

I do too!

Ohhh not a "length" thing. I do it also and I believe it's an anxiety, maybe anger thing. I wear gel (fake) nails and a certain drunkenness brings a suppressed anger to bite them off. I don't even quite understand it but I do it. "Cut your nails and watch your alcholol consumption" isn't the solution. It's a soul thing......a suppressed thing.

I'm nearly 50 and FINALLY glad to hear I am not the only one that deals with this issue. Carbohydrate consumption (especially alcohol!) has always been a catalyst. Nail biting for me has been a struggle since I was a small child, of which anxiety is but a small portion. The biggest problem I've had to overcome is the uncomfortable way a nail tip (of any length) "feels" pressing against the tips of my fingers. The sensation overpowers my will to the point that I MUST bite them off. I've gotten so I can go pretty long without taking them completely down to the nub, but I have to keep them regularly trimmed and have a REALLY GOOD reason to force myself from chewing (Social event, job interview...). But yep, put a beer in me and all bets are off.

Me too. Is there a scientific reason or are all of these reasons suspect?