This post is an extension of the
Shooting pains in jaw when eating and drinking alcohol thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I came to this site as I was very concerned that my son may have hodgkins as ABC news just did a story that mentioned this could be a symptom. I now feel better after reading all these posts but will still make sure he gets checked. But while reading all these posts it jogged my memory...I too used to get this awful pain but no longer. I can't remember when it finally stopped, but I did pass a salivary gland stone and I now realize it has not happened since. I'd look into the salivary gland issue if I had this reoccur.

Well it looks like people have stopped posting here (besides the post right above mine). But I get this same thing too. I've noticed it more since I turned 21 a little over a year ago, since I started having more beer with dinners.

The salivary gland stone thing is really interesting because I'm pretty sure I've passed those stones several times. The stones are weird because I can feel them trying to come out, and it feels like a hair on the back of my tongue. So I usually use some sort of dental instrument to kind of squeeze it out of there. I get like 2 or 3 in a row, and then they're gone, then a month or two later, I get more. So that leads me to believe that the jaw pain could be related somehow.

I just wanted to say that I also experience this pain. Actually I was just experiencing it for about 15 minutes while I was looking this up on google and came across this thread. I had drank about 6 beers then decided to eat a bowl of chili with hot sauce. After the chili I had another beer and then started having this pain. I've had this pain before but never decided to look it up. The main thing Ive noticed is that it always happens after drinking and then eating something.

The above poster mentioned salivary gland stones and how it "feels like a hair on the back of my tongue". That is something I have not noticed before, and I am curious what you used to get them out, and how you could tell where they were in your mouth? Could you notice something there when looking in the mirror, or were you just finding it by the feeling of the "hair"?

Thanks for the info, glad im not the only one that has this pain.

Thanks for the list on the tannic wines! It's so funny that you mentioned the differences, because I get it with different alcohols. When I was in Spain, the riojas were excellent and caused me no problems at all. There were, however, beers and wines that I had severe reactions to. I figured that I just had to try different wines to see if I had a reaction. Good to know - think this solves my problem!

Hey all,
Since this is the first link that pops up on Google after searching for "jaw pain after drinking alcohol" I figured I'd put my 2 cents in....

I've suffered from this for years...when drinking alcohol just before eating I would get a really sharp pain in the corners of my jaw - much like they were cramping up, that would last for 15-30 minutes.

I had heard about the vitamin c and tried it - I chew a 500mg chewable tablet when I feel the pain coming on...and it goes away very quickly.

The funny thing with me is, it almost never happens with red wine, but occurs all the time with beer and liquor. My wife and I love to go to a local Mexican restaurant every other week or so and we have margaritas before dinner. Every time I leave I start getting the pain on the ride home. As soon as I get home, I take a vitamin c and it goes away in less than a minute.
Id love to know the real cause of this sometime. I a bit skeptical that it has anything to do with the salivary glands. Years ago I had a salivary duct blocked by a strawberry seed and the gland itself is under the jaw in a region close to where I experince the jaw pain - which is on the side right where the jaw connects to the skull.

Anyway I hope this helps other "sufferers".

VITAMIN C!!!!

I too came here with the same problem. Have been getting it for years but not too often. Has nothing to do with alcohol for me although it can bring it one.
I just had pesto with lemon juice and it came on.
My theory has been that I have been hungry and clenched my jaw too much then eating as relaxed the muscles but they are sore from clenching.
Interesting about the gland stones theory.

Wow, I can't believe I found this post. I've searched for a diagnosis of this medical issue several times online with no results over the course of a year and never found any trace of information at all. But I followed the advice the user two posts above me gave, and searched for anything in my house that had Vitamin C in it. I literally am here posting because the pain was so intense that I desperately wanted to find a solution.

All I had in my house was apple juice, which has 120% Vitamin C. Just seconds before I poured myself a glass the pain had reached its peak, but instantaneously after I began drinking it, the pain almost completely subsided!

I can confirm that Vitamin C has worked to help ease the pain! REJOICE!

If it starts to hurt again, just drink more. I do believe the posters who claimed it to be gland stones were right. To test this, I actively tried to produce more saliva, which instantly provoked the pain to occur consistently. After I drank the apple juice however, it didn't hurt even if I provoked it to.

Many thanks to all the above posters in helping everyone find out a solution to this!

I'm on here right now because i had to google and find out if i could find an answer to my pain. It sounds like there is no known answer at this time. But it sure is great to know that i'm not the only one out there with this issue. I had one guiness with dinner, salmon and rice and the pains began, lasted for about 20 minutes.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not crazy.

I get it every time I eat pizza with beer, or Mexican food with a frozen Margarita. It's painful all the way home. I get the shooting pains just under both ears at the jaw line near the glands.

I usually have to keep drinking water, or gargle with a strong mouthwash.

I'll try the vitamin C trick

Thanks.

I never post messages, but I had to for coming across this. I just had the same kind of pain after drinking a margarita. I can't believe I found this thread. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy! I drink on occasion, but this only happened to me once before and it was again from tequila. Very strange. And you know what is sad, the doctors think we are crazy. I wish we could all line up outside their office and tell them we're not crazy you are stupid!

My husband gets this, always associated with either beer or food, particularly spicy food. Doesn't happen every time, and usually lasts about 15-20 minutes and is excruciating. Will try the Vitamin C trick as he generally gets a slight warning when it is about to happen.

I've just recently started having this problem when I drink red wine. Since it started about a month ago, it's happened every single time I've had some. I usually can't even finish my glass because the pain is just too uncomfortable. I really hope this vitamin c trick works!

As far as I know, the Vitamin C trick works pretty well. If you continue to have trouble, I do think it's possible that it could be an allergy as well, so don't forget to investigate that if it turns out that you've got a problem that seems immune to any sort of treatment. Keep us posted on how it goes okay?

Okay, well I thought I would find some common known problem when I looked this up on google, but all I found was this thread chock full of people wondering what is wrong with them. I've had this problem for probably about a decade or so. I just now had the idea of doing a google search on it.

To everyone else out there, "I feel your pain!" and you are not alone! :-)