I am 23 years old and more than 4 years ago I had the Gastric Bypass surgery, and had a healthy baby boy, with slight health issues. 2 years ago I had a twist in my intestines and lost 6-12 inches and the dr had to redo my stomach for another gastric bypass. I now suffer with Short Bowel Syndrome and have suffered somewhat with the symptoms. 

My Family and I know would like to add another addition to our family. I have talked to several doctors, who seem to be dumb-founded and are not really sure if there is any complications or even if there is something that can be do to help or allow it to be "healther", if that is the word im looking for.

Does anyone have any advice or has heard of anyone that suffers from this sydrome that has had a healthy pregnancy?  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Kajunkara,

The two years since your last surgery is a good thing.  Your digestive system does adapt somewhat to the loss of intestine.  It won't be as effective as before but in the two years it has recovered and the tissues can now absorb more of the nutrients than they did before.

The question to ask would be how are your adapting now?  Are you maintaining weight and strength?  How is your health?  Getting pregnant will greatly increase your nutritional needs.  You may have success with many small meals, instead of larger ones.  You will need to be monitored closely, and the fetus as well, during pregnancy.

Your doctors should be able to help you with this.  You may also want to talk to a dietician.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Hi kajunkara,

I also have short bowl syndrome and found out I am 7 weeks pregnant, now the doctors want to abort. I had bariatric surgery August 2014. Please let me know- did you get pregnant after this post and how did it go?