Hi, there. My boyfriend brought a cat to his home and now I am experiencing headaches and nasal congestion. I cannot persuade him that this is caused by his cat. Please, tell me if I should do a blood or skin test to see am I allergic to pets. What is your opinion about this? Thanks.

Hi, there. It is possible that you have a pet allergy. I am not sure why your boyfriend does not believe you. Blood test detects proteins called immunoglobulins type IgE. They are produced whenever any kind of allergy happens. If you want to determine which pets exactly you are allergic to, I suggest you a scratch test. A doctor or a technician will scratch your skin on dozen places on your forearms. After that, on each scratch, he will put a certain allergen. In within 20 minutes, if you are allergic to anything, there will be an allergic reaction on that scratch. This is usually manifested by swelling, redness or itching. In that way, you will have the proof. And your boyfriend will have to choose – you or the cat.