Hello. I have a problem with my cat. I don’t know what to do with her. She is having problems with her skin ever since I got her. I see her scratching all the time, but lately it’s getting even worse. I can’t figure out what is the scratching all about. I thought maybe I’ll find the cure for her rash without having to take her to the vet. Is there anyone here who has the similar situation with their cat? Can you tell me what can I do for the rash to go away? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Hello. Even if I am new in this pet world, I had the same situation with my kitty two months ago. She was driving me crazy, because she was scratching all the time and I didn’t know what is going on.  In my case, it was not typical rash, it was bacterial infection. Usually, this bacterial skin infections develop as a result of some another skin problem. That was the case with my cat, the vet told me this. She had some acne. She was treated with antibiotics, and it was helpful. I think that only antibiotics can help your cat in this case.  The other possibility is flea bites.

Hi. Well, I need more information. There are several things that can cause a cat rash. The first thing that pops in my mind are fleas. They can be annoying and they usually make the cat scratch herself until they make a rash on their skin. 

The other thing is some kind of allergy. Maybe your cat is allergic to cat food you are giving her or maybe to something else from your environment.  She can also be allergic to fleas, or to be more precise, on their saliva/ feces. 

Does she have any other symptoms like watery eyes or something else?

That rash can be so annoying, not just for your cat. It can’t be annoying for you, because you don’t know how to treat it. My best friend had the same problem with her cat Lara, and I can tell you something that I know. Her cat was allergic to certain canned food, and she had that weird rash all the time. Vet told her to observe when this rash is intensive, and it was after dinner (she was giving her that canned food for dinner). That was the main reason, and now she doesn’t have any problems with the skin. There are so many ways, and you need to try hard to find which one is right.

I agree. But, you should give us more information. It is really hard to tell with so little information. Of course, there can be a lot of things that can cause rash. It can be caused by seasonal changes, because many cats, just like people, get dry after certain season. Also, there are a lot of environmental factors, where you cat can get into the touch with some chemicals or even fabrics, that can cause skin irritation as well. Bacterial infection also can cause skin disorders, and I don’t want to talk about some serious diseases, such as tumor. It can be caused by stress, as well. 

I have one solution – natural remedies. It is always a good choice. We do know that most pet stores carry a lot of all – natural products. They are designed to treat certain skin conditions. Now, I am not saying anything against those products, but I think that you can cure this naturally. I have heard this from my granny, and trust me, they do know the best. For example, marshmallow can be really effective for soothing irritated skin. Of course, this can be helpful if this is just a rash, not some disease or something like that.

But, I agree that vet must be your option number one. 

When exactly did this start happening?

You need to investigate your cat’s skin regularly because their skin problems are often barely noticeable under their fur .

You need to search for evidence of hair loss, dryness, redness/ inflammation, pimples, flaking, scratches, bruises, swellings, cuts, lumps, ticks, mites, fleas, other parasites, cysts, bites, bleeding, abscesses etc.

Allergies are the most common cause of cats’ rashes. Did you notice her sneezing, coughing or scratching? Does he/she have runny eyes or runny nose? If she has, the allergy must be it. You should consult with your vet, he will teach you what to do in that case. 

The good news is that rash is easily treated, but the bad is that causes can be various. 

As others said, the most common causes of skin rash are allergies (on many different things) or flea bite. If your cat stays indoor it is unlikely that she or he is bitten by flea, but you cannot rule out that possibility. That's why the trip to the vet is mandatory. There your cat will be thoroughly examined and tested on allergies. After that your vet will decide what's the best possible treatment option for you cat's skin rash.

It's really a no brainer. Your kitty will be grateful to you, trust me.

Over the years, my cats suffered from many types of rash. Almost every time it was allergy. Three of them had allergy on certain types of foods, mostly chicken. One was allergic to pollen and we had difficult time treating him, but he finally made it out. Unfortunately, we had cat named Blacket, and he was allergic to fleas and when some other cat got them, he would have rash on almost half of the body. It was very stressful for all of us, and we were forced to put him down.

Whenever we saw a rash on our cat's body, we immediately took her/him to the vet for precise diagnosis and started treatment ASAP. That's the best thing you can do for your pet.