Need help. My little son is having surgery next week. It’s about Tonsilectomy. Did any of your children have had it? I’m pretty scared right now, I think I’m gonna freak out. He has no problems with anesthesia, because he had a surgery already, but I’m still worried. They need to take 4 streps out of him. Please help, I’m pretty worried about this!

Almost over a year ago one of my two daughters had her adeniods removed. Everything past well and she tolerated it without problems except first few days. It’s very important to have good pain control and it is the key, without good pain control then he may not drink enough liquids, and without enough liquids he is at a higher risk for bleeding. You need to keep his activities to lowest level, NO running, swimming, because it is the highest risk for bleeding. Let him play on the computer or do some not phisicaly related activities. You need to talk to your surgeon and your doctor/specialist before you went with him to the surgery. He needs to inform you about everything, how should you prepare for the surgery. I hope this helped you.

Thank you for your response. Finally his surgery went well, but he wakes up from anesthesia very soon after surgery, but he was in so much pain right after, because they didn't give him any pain killers. Regarding the pain meds, it seems every 4 hours he needs more. First day he was drink and eat popsicles but already last night he ate a mac and cheese. I hope the worst is behind us. I’ll keep him at home for now at least a week. Today is 4th day and everything seems to be ok. I hope it will stay so. Also I'll just keep pumping him with the pain meds and cold liquids. I pray to god for him every night and hope for good recovery soon. Thanks everyone for your support!

We just found out our 5 and 3 year olds have enlarged tonsils. Snoring, gasping for air in the night, tiredness during day, etc. We have to call and schedule an appiointment for the 5 year old cuz we think the 3 year old is too young yet. Scared at the moment cuz dont know about anesthesia problems in them and scared to find out!!! :cry: dont want them to go through with this at all but wondering if it will better their life. They have problems with urinateing in the bed too pretty much like all children and we dont know about the adenoids yet. The 5 year old talks "nasal" in her voice and the 3 year old has a hard time swallowing and they both keep thier mouths open a lot.

If it makes you feel any better, if they need to be taken out have vthem taken out while there 5 and 3-- im 23 and just had them done ( actually 2 days ago looking for info thats how i stumbled here) and it is the most painful thing i have ever gone thru in my life -- i knew they said that its more painful as you get older but i had no idea --- do you kids a favor and if you know they need to come out, do it while there young and its less painful

OKay i'm worried now!! I'm 27 and been told mine have gotta come out so on the waiting list. Any tips?!?

I'm getting ready to meet with my ENT doctor to see about having my tonsils removed because they've been enlarged for almost 10 yrs and I might have a sleeping disorder. Unfortunately my doctor wants to have my tonsils removed before doing a sleep study. I'm 25 and I've heard that it's going to hurt more. How long does it take to recover from the surgery? I'm in the military, I work shift work, and my job is based around the telephone. From my understanding I'm only getting three days off to have the surgery. If all goes well, will that be enough recover time before having to go back to work?

Hi I am 37 just had tonsils out three days ago. I would of prefered another cesear than this, however I am in early days and everyone I have spoken to older people says its worth it. One month ago my four year old had his tonsils, adnoids and a gromit all at once. Now he is great, no bad throats, hearing better and glad its all over for both. My advice is if it needs to be done then do it otherwise it will be harder when older...believe me! I am finding it hard to eat but they say if you do not eat you go back in I thought I would find advise on what sort of things could eat on this website!

hi my little boy is also having the same surgery next tues. you like myself are worried for him but it will all be ok. just dont let him see your fear or it will affect him

Hi, i'm 37 years old and i had my tonsils removed 7 days ago. I'm sorry but i have never experienced anything like it. The pain is pretty bad, the first couple of days were ok, i could eat soft food. But as time has gone on, it's gotten worse. I was told there would be two peak times of pain, usually on days 3 or 4 and again on day 7. I know getting this operation is for the best long term but it's not a pleasant experience. Sorry, don't want to put anyone off but i'm not going to lie about it either. However, everone is different.

I had mine out in November, aged 27. I was told I would definitely need two weeks off work, possibly three - in the end I needed almost a month!
I went in as day surgery, although got kept in overnight as I was the last on the operating list so hadn't had time to eat anything by the time they were discharging that evening.

I was also told that children bounce back in about 3 days, teenagers about a week, but for adults it's about 3 weeks. When you come round from the anaesthetic it's bearably painful, and it was for the first few days. I was warned that the pain increases for the first 7 days, which it did - a LOT! It was absolutely excruciating, like having a sprained jaw as well - and not only a sore throat but very painful ears too (which I still have 5 months later!). There's no way I would have been able to contemplate returning to work any earlier - eating anything took ages and I was in too much pain to concentrate, plus the pain meds (paracetamol, ibuprofen and a throat spray/mouthwash) meant I wasn't really with it.

So if you have kids who need their tonsils out, get it done NOW - it's an absolutely awful op. to have any older than that.

i'm 41 and six days ago had my tonsils removed (the right one was consistently enlarged--always had problems). i am still in so much throat & ear pain i can't believe it. having a baby is a breeze compared to this (& that was an emergency caesarean). i was told to have painkillers & eat rough food to ward off secondary infection. don't eat rough food--it makes the pain much worse later. back to soup again! do drink lots of cold water to minimise scabbing--it hurts but its worth it. last night i was woken with a nose bleed (came from mouth as well). didn't last long so went back to sleep--does anyone know if this is normal. get lots of good books & try to rest in the quiet. painkillers may help with rest. wish i'd had this operation when i was younger and wish that somebody had told me the reality of recovery. patience is definitely a virtue!

I am 36 and 11 days ago i had my tonsils and adnoids removed and i haven't been able to eat anything but peaches... in the fruit cup. they dont stay tho. i have been throwing up because of the mucus.. I want to get rid of it...

This is the worst thing ever...

Hello everyone. I am 42 years old and fixing to have my tonsils taken out next week. I have been suffering with chronic strep throat infections since last summer. Been sick every month, bad breath, coughing up tonsiliths and have a huge snoring problem (according to my husband). Has anyone out there had this surgery as an adult and had good response afterwards with regards to all the s/s I have been having. I can't imagine them getting any worse! I am a little nervous after reading all of the scary posts!

I am 41 and just had my tonsils removed yesterday. I have never experienced any kind of pain like this. I have two kids and would rather do it all over again before having this done. It is true the older you are the worse on you, so my advice is don't do like I did put it off for four years and now I'm paying for it.