I leave in Kentucky and I'm 33 years old. Mother of 2 kids, a 6 year old daughter and 3 years old son. My daughter is scheduled for appt. for tonsilectomy next week. Does anyone have a kid with tonsilectomy for a 6 years old?

I have two boys one 6yrs old and another 8 yrs. Today they don't remove tonsils out unless it's really necessary. I had mine out at 4 but although it was long time ago, I can remember the pain. Because of sore attacks of tonsilitis, my parents decided to take it out. The prevention could be, for example, ice cream because the cold helps a lot. However if your kid have swallowed throat or pain it would be better for him to take it out with 6 then later. Small kids have amazing powers of recovery.

I wish you good luck!

Yes, stock up on icecream, it’s true it helps. Your son needs to eat toast after few days, because it will gently scratch his throat and help him with getting rid of the scabs.

My six year old is going to have his tonsils and adnoids removed next month.

He does not suffer from tonsilitis or strep infections, the main reason for this surgery is sleep apnea.

I don't think he has had a truly good nights sleep in years. He is thin, (although that's probably just genes) is always pale and has dark circles under his eyes. He can be very moody and uncooperative and just plain cranky, which I blame on the lack of sleep (I hope!)

From what I've been reading on the internet, this is a very painful surgery and I am very worried about how he will handle the recovery, (he can very dramatic and does not handle pain or illness very well). As bad as I want this sleep apnea to go away, I'm worried that the surgery is not going to be worth it in the end.

Mostly what I've been finding on various forums is people getting this surgery to cure mainly just tonsilitis/ strep infections. Has anyone out there had their childs adnoids/tonsils removed just for sleep apnea and did it help????

I am have had lots of experience both as a mother and an adult patient as well. I had my tonsils out when I was 30 - they just would not take them out when I was little, then as an adult they found a cyst on one and decided it was time. It is a horible surgery as an adult! I wished over and over that they would have done it when I was little. So, when my first son was 4 (almost 5) they decided to take his out. His were just very large (as mine were as a child) but he did not get sick that often from them. He too is very sensitive and does not take well to pain. He did well with drinking, as he understood that the more you drink/eat the better you will feel. He did have a ton of ear pain, especially in the night/early morning. It was 4 years ago, and I am so glad I did it(even though there was one night I cried and thought why did I do this to my baby)! He is healthy, sleeps so much more quietly, and I will never have to worry about him having them out as an adult!

Now my second son just had his out 2 days ago (4 years old). He is doing well. He is a tough kid, but fights me more on drinking. A few suggestions that have helped us! We found a great book at the library (I used it with both boys) titled "Good-Bye Tonsils" by Marilyn Mets. We read it the week before and he was so calm going into everything. He knew exactly what to expect. It is a great book - highly recommend it! Also, this time around the nurse suggested getting a spray bottle and filling it with water or Kool-aid (we decided on water since a spray bottle with a 4 year old sounds a little risky with colored liquid), anyway he keeps it by him 24-7 and sprays his throat whenever needed. It keeps it moist and really helps at night and in the morning. So far he is doing well, but I also know that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

If anyone is questioning doing this for their kids, I would push to get it done. If you read most of the posts on here it is from adults - it is so much easier on the kids, although it is not fun for the parents.

Good luck to everyone!

My 6 year old is going in for a tonsilectomy for sleep apnea and snoring next month as well (March 14). There is a very good article on the Parents Magazine web site about the benefits of having the surgery done.

My son has been having behavior problems, concentration issues (especially at school), and some agressiveness with his little brother. From what I'm hearing and reading these will be greatly improved.

My son is scheduled to have his tonsils and adnoids removed on May 6th. He is a horrible sleeper and underweight because I believe his tonsils are so swollen he finds it hard to swallow. I am just wondering what to expect. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

My six year old daughter is scheduled for the procedure in the morning. Her brother was 2 1/2 when he had his removed. He did very well and was nearly fully recovered by day 12. He refused pain medication and even Tylenol. He would scream and spit the Tylenol3 (with coedine) out. I used infants drops on him because there was less liquid for the same amount of medicine. Within 30 minutes of taking medication he was ok. I plan on giving tylenol around the clock for at least the first 10 days before weening my daughter. I hope I can reason with her and she can communicate with me. The 2 year old was tough but would not communicate or reason. That made the recovery hard on all of us. It was worth it because he sleeps like a rock. He had night terrors and other complications that have disappeared. Our surgeon used the coblation method (high pressure water with sonic waves) No vomiting, no blood loss, but he did cough up a scab in my hand on day 8. GROSS!!!! Keep em doped up and lots of ice. Buy a snowcone maker (Walmart $20.00) and give them all the crushed ice they will eat.

My daughter just had her done on Nov.16th. She is not feeling so great(moody, tired and sore) she even vomited. She will not take the pain meds and is fighting even the anitbotic!!! She is 6 and it's so hard to try and rationalize with her that if she does what we say it will help her feel better. The dr. has reassurred us that everything she is going through is normal and to take one day at a time. I can't image 1 week being enough time to recover(as they told us).

Each child is different my daughter could hardly drink and eat anything. My son has his taken out yesterday and he has been eating ice cream like crazy. Daughter could not drink cold stuff and my son fathers cold stuff. So all kids r different! Good luck