Hi, I have been diagnosed with arrhythmia, or to be more exact with ventricular tachycardia, two months ago. The first time I had an attack, I was rushed to the hospital where the diagnosis was made. The doctor prescribed me with Amiodarone and I was willing to take it, because I didnt want to go through such an experience again. But, when I read the medication guide I started to think. I worry about the possible side effects but want to deal with tachycardia as well. What should I do? Please help!

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your condition. Ventricular tachycardia is a very serious, life threatening condition. Drugs used in its treatment are called antiarrhythmic drugs. However, Amiodarone is very different from the rest of the bunch. This medicine is used to treat the most difficult cases of arrhythmia or when all other treatment options have failed. Ventricular tachycardia is one of the most difficult forms of arrhythmia and Amiodarone is often used in treatment of patients diagnosed with this condition. You have every right to be worried about the possible side effects of Amiodarone, since they can be very serious. Sometimes, they can be life threatening. But, in the case of ventricular tachycardia the benefits outweigh the risks. Amiodarone can help you return to normal life. But, you should follow your doctors orders to the letter. Your doctor is the person who will monitor your condition carefully and help you if some of the side effects occur. Good luck!