Hi everyone! I enjoy drinking nettle tea quite often, and as far as I know, nettle tea is a very healthy thing to drink. I even heard that nettle tea detoxifies the body and cleanses the stomach. But is it possible that there are any side effects of drinking nettle tea? Does anybody know anything about that?

Celebrity
Hey carmine299!

Nettle tea is actually one of the herbal teas that are 'allowed' to be drunk 1-2 liters/daily.. Nettle tea is relatively safe to drink, so I think you have no reasons to worry about, except if you take drugs such as acetaminophen and codeine, xanax or other antidepressants, because in this case nettle may cause sedation or temporarily increase depression.

Also, if you have high blood pressure, moreover if you take blood-pressure lowering medications, nettle tea has natural diuretic effect and could cause blood-pressure to plummet to dangerous levels.

Also, nettle tea should never be taken with lithium, as this can increase the risk of dehydration and lithium toxicity.

Some people are allergic to nettle tea, but you are obviously not :-)

one more thing about nettle tea side effect - nettle is a very rich source of vitamin K, so other sources of this vitamin (such as parsley or alfaalfa) are therefore not needed.

I think you are on the safe side. I hope this helps.