Hello everyone. Recently I’ve heard about phenomenal Yerba mate tea and his amazing properties. I’ve read a lot of articles, web sites and posts and I thought I knew almost everything about it. So I went to pharmacy and bought a box of Yerba mate. I was very excited and I talked everyone about it, how healthy this tea is, how it makes you awaken, how good it is for losing weight and so on. However, I was really disappointed when one of my friends told me not to be so excited because the latest studies showed this tea isn’t as great as everyone thought and that it has some very bad side effects. Please tell me if this is true, are there side effects from using this tea?

Hi Mellisa8

I am sorry but I must tell you that your friend was right.

Even thought a plenty of studies showed that this tea has a lot of healthy ingredients which help you lose weight, make you feel full of energy and protect your cells from cancer there are also some negative sides of using Yerba mate which you need to consider before start using it. For example, study published 12 or 13 years ago (I’m not sure) reports that regular drinking of this tea is a risk factor in developing cancer of mouth and throat.

Again, sorry I’ve disappointed you.

Hi

Yes Aristotle, I remember that I’ve read somewhere results of that study. But, I think that they later found out that result which told that drinking this tea is a risk factor for getting cancer are obtained because of manner of preparing and drinking it. Study was performed in South America where they prepare this tea in a traditional (not so clean way).

So Mellisa, don’t be so disappointed.  These results aren’t so robust.

Some studies showed that you shouldn’t drink this tea if you have problems with blood pressure and if you use medications for that, though.  The reason is caffeine in yerba mate tea which stimulates your heart to beat stronger.