I drink pineapple juice quite a lot in the summer, and love fresh pineapple as well. It is that season again now, and I am glad that fresh pineapples are available in the supermarket again. I was surprised when a friend mentioned that pineapple can have some side effects and that I should not eat too much of it. Is that true? What are the side effects of pineapple?

Eating too much of any fruit is not good, because fruit can be very acidic and pineapple is more so than some other fruits. If you have caught an unripe pineapple, then you can even vomiting after eating it. But hey, that is hardly a life threatening reaction! You should have no problem eating pineapple in normal quantities.

Although the pineapple is delicious and sought after for its unique sweetness, the juice of the unripe fruit can be dangerous. If large quantities are consumed, vomiting, skin rash and diarrhea can occur. If the pineapple juice is consumed by pregnant women, it should be in small quantities. Pineapple can cause a uterine contraction that might cause an accidental abortion.