I was diagnosied, after many years of poking, proding and trips to multiple specialists, with Sjogren's Syndrome. I am fortunate that I have control over my symptoms unmedicated.
My Rheumatologist told me that she didn't need to see me anymore if I was able to keep things under control myself, but she also warned me that with my blood results, she expects I will develop RA.

Now for my question....

5 months ago I severly sprained my right ankle. I had physio, crutches, braces etc. The sprain was severe enough I went to the hospital by ambulace because everyone was convinced it was a severe break. Before physio, and immediately after physio appointments my left ankle would also swell in pain, from over compensating my therapist said.

Recently the ankle pain has returned, and now both of my ankles are in a constant state of swelling and pain. When I've been sitting or laying down for a long time the pain subsides, but the moment my ankles bare any weight, even if it comes in the form of crossing my ankles, I have intense pain. When I stand, I can not flex my ankles, I walk in a shuffle for the first hour of the morning, trying to get the stiffness out.

I've worked in retail for 5 years, so I'm always on my feet, but I understand the pain that comes after a long shift, and this is very different. The pain lasts for hours and hours after my shift is over. I have difficulty at work squating the floor to pick things up, or help my customers try on different footware styles, even at the begining of my shift.

The only reason I really doubt this, is the fact that it is only my ankles. I have had some minor, one handed knuckle pain, very rarely, and some numbness, but my Sjogren's seems to be in remission right now, and none of my other joints are involved.

Is this a result of my extremely severe sprain? Or should I go back to see my RA?

If you've read all this, thanks, I look forward to knowing what you think might be the issue.
Thanks
Nicole

I'm not sure on the ankle issue. It would probably be best to see the Rheumatologist. I am curious to know how you are handling your symptoms of Sjogren's. I was recently diagnosed and have been put on Hydroxychloroquine which I am not to excited about being on for the rest of my life. I am 30 years old and what I would consider to be good shape.

I also suffer from the exact pain and stiffness you suffer from except I also have knee and hip pain. I was recently diagnosed with Secondary Sjogren's and believe your pain is directly related to a connective tisue disease. I am not a doctor so don't take my advise as red writing in the bible.

Have you been tested for Lupus?

Nicole, I am not sure but I had the same type of pain. I was diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Look it up.