Hi, I’ve been diagnosed with sarcoidosis last summer after I was hospitalized for first looked like pneumonia, but only until my lung x-rays came in. I was started on prednisone immediately and was given even more antibiotics for pneumonia. This started while I was still in hospital and trying to get my head around this, but both ankles on my legs become a little swollen, I guess I didn’t feel the pain then from all other medications. After six months on prednisone and horrible side effects that changed me completely (60 pounds heavier and still trying to explain why I was so nervous mad all the time) I’ve been more or less symptom free. The only thing that is starting to worry me now is that a year later my ankles are starting to swell again and they can hurt so bad that I sometimes can’t sleep the whole night. Is this the sign that inflammation back?

Hello Guest.  The swelling in your ankles could be from the extra weight you are carrying.  The weight causes the fluid to hang down around your feet and has trouble returning up to your heart.  Swollen ankles can indicate other things like heart, liver, or kidney issues.  Are you have any other symptoms other than swollen ankles?  You should elevate your feet as often as possible. Make an appointment with your doctor and rule out any health problems associated with the ankle swelling.  Who else has had ankle swelling that has lead to other problems?  What health problem attributed to it?

Have you had an anca blood test to test for Wegener's?