My mom is suffering for years now from rheumatoid arthritis and recently she was diagnosed also with secondary sjogren's syndrome and I am curious to hear what are her prognoses and would secondary sjogren's syndrome cause her some further rheumatic conditions. She is prescribed some Restasis eye drops along with Evoxac that is about to increase her saliva production and since she is already taking for years combination of NSAIDs and prednisone in order to treat her joint pain and inflammation do you think this would be too much of meds for her to take.

Well, if those meds are taken properly and as prescribed than I don't think she could develop any serious side effects for actually she needs keep on taking them if she wants to gain some secondary sjogren's syndrome symptoms relief. Anyway being diagnosed with secondary sjogren's syndrome means there is always some underlying condition causing it and in your mom's case it is about rheumatoid arthritis so your mom is actually in higher risk now of developing further and more serious rheumatoid attacks affecting her joint inflammation.

I am a 42 year old mother of 4 wonderful children and I have had rheumatoid (moderate to severe) since I was 21 years of age. Not to put blame or anything on anyone; however, my parents didn't really take me to the dentist when I was a child until my teeth hurt and usually (back then) it was too late and you had to have the tooth extracted. Anyway, throughout the last 20 years, I have had extensive dental work done on my teeth but they always tend to end up in bad shape again. For a while I blamed myself but then my rheumatologist told me that I probably had Sjogren's syndrome secondary to rheumatoid and that my medical insurance would probably pay to have this taken care of. I am on Evocax and Orencia for the rheumatoid but I have become so depressed and basically do not go out of the house to avoid talking to people because of my teeth. My smallest children are 8, 3 and 1 and I don't want them to be embarrassed and I like people but I just can't stand speaking to someone and no matter how important and intelligent my conversation might be, their eyes go straight to my mouth. I'm uncertain where to start looking for help with this situation. I was told that implants with dentures (dentures that lock in place with about 4 implanted rods) would be the best route. My 1 year old has severe respiratory problems and is special needs himself so we don't have a lot of money. We are military and have Tricare and I have Medicare, as well as Delta Dental but I just am tired of getting my hopes up thinking I might have a chance of a nice smile again when they just want to bill dental and I can't afford to pay $8,000 for this dental work. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks so much and God Bless. If nothing else, please keep me in your prayers.