I divorced in 2008 because my husband was addicted to EVE (online game). We were married for 6 yrs with a 3 yr old. He was also smoking pot and worked only when he wanted. He turned down jobs and stayed home. I was supporting the family, taking care of our son and him. We had bought an old home and he was supposed to finish revovating it but instead he just stayed home and played games. We lived in an unfinished home for a year. He would wake up late and sometimes send our son to daycare without breakfast telling me it was ok because they gave him a snack at ten. I had to leave earlier for work. When he spent time with his son, it was in front of the computer showing him video or put him in front of the tv. I tried couseling with and without him for a year. I tried talking to him but he would get angry and say I was trying to humiliate him when I was insisting that he should get a job. I finally decided to kick him out with his computer. He went to live with a friend in another city, leaving me alone with my kid. I was relieved, just not seing him on the computer was a relief. His friend then told me about his game addiction and how bothered he was with it too... SO at least I felt less guilty that I broke our marriage. I went to see a divorce lawyer and sent him papers that he did not even read. I then set a date 9 months later to sign the papers and sold the house (that my dad had helped me with the rest of renovation). He was crying when I told him I was selling the house. I needed too, I had so much debts. It was very painful and sad to see him like that. I needed to move on. I had given him his chances. I got full custody of our son. I became a single mother, he was seeing him only one week every two weeks. It was really hard, working 40 hrs a week, and being a single mom. But I felt more energized not having to support him. Then I met a guy, and now I have been with him for 2 years. He is very different, very responsible and not addicted to online games or pot. HE is healthy, has a good job, and I feel I have more family time, even if he's not the real father, he really takes good care of my son. Spend a lot of time playing with him, bring him outdoor. Sometimes I feel guilty that I broke my marriage and I wish I could have fix things for my son, for him to live with his dad. I an really affraid that my son will hate me later on for having broken our family...This is the downside of getting a divorce, you always feel remorse/regrets. I wanted to share my story if it can help some of you.

I think your story is wonderful....

And if your son grows to hate anyone, it will be your ex, not you. He is the one that let your marriage fall apart! You tried to keep it together, not him. You have found true happiness for yourself, as well as your son, and that is what he will remember. He will remember this man who "became" the father he never had. I say GOOD FOR YOU and thank god for good guys!

Thank you so much for what you said. It really makes me feel better about my situation. You are right, I did try. I have to say divorce is a really hard thing, especially dealing with guilt.... I'm going to look toward the future now with my new boyfriend.

Thanks again :-)

no your son would never hate you but he wouldnt understand if you stayed with his dad and let him kill you.he wouldnt hate you but he wouldnt understand why his future wasnt important enough for you to leave.im sorry that is so blunt and its a mean thing to say.I HAVE EPILEPSY FROM MY HUSBAND BEATING ME and im very passinate about domestic violence.I IMPLORE YOU TO LET THAT MAN LOVE YOU AND YOUR SON!LET THE MAN SHOW YOUR SON A POSITIVE FATHER FIGURE!AFTER ALL YOU LEFT YOUR ABUSIVE HUSBAND FOR A MAN JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU GOT...some of us alive dont find MR.RIGHT as soon as you did and the many who were killed will never find MR RIGHT. CONGRATULATIONS YOU MADE IT OUT!!NOW STAY AWAY