I've been taking methadone for about 2 yrs. and my boyfriend and i have been together for 4 yrs. having unprotected sex for the 4 yrs. also. Although we are not trying to concieve it's strikes me as odd that I have not become pregnant. My question is: Is there something wrong with me that i am unable to concieve or is it the Methadone that is causing this to happen? thanks.

I would say ask a doctor, but I became pregnant on methadone, I am 4-5 weeks actually and have just had a healthy baby 3 months ago who I carried while on methadone as well, all the way through. You can get pregnant while on methadone, some even say you are more fertile, you may have to do more research because I do not have a clue if what I have heard is fact about that or not. However, have you explored the possibility, if you have ruled out you, that your husband may be infertile? It takes two as the saying goes, and it proves to be true in all areas. Check it out and let me know what happens with ya. Kristie.

It has nothing to do with the methadone. I was on methadone 100mg a day and my girlfriend ended up pregnant. Maybe it has something to do with you being on the pill or maybe it is just something on his behalf that his little men just dont swim. Not to be rude I just wanted to let you know that the methadone doesnt effect it what so ever.

What's wrong with you is not that you haven't gotten pregnant, it's that you're insane enough to be having unprotected sex for years and chancing pregnancy while on methadone! Jeez!

Both heroin and methadone have been found to disrupt the semen of male users, although the effect is more pronounced in heroin users. Similarly, use of both heroin and methadone disrupts women's menstrual cycles, but they generally become more regular as women are established on methadone maintenance. ---- that is from a methadone drug site so yes it can effect but also yes you should get checked out ...

thats actually really unkind , im not on methadone but my partner is , i have 3 grown up kids n my hubby has 2 who he doesnt see , we r desperate for a child of our own , together . n ive just had a miscarriage , but ur sayin coz someone is on methadone they dont deserve to be parents ! thats wrong

I didnt post that comment but i have to agree a d its not because people on methadone dont deserve to be parents, its because babies born to women on methadone suffer through withdrawls after birth. I have an 11 month old baby girl who was born addicted to methadone. I did not use anything other than methadone while pregnant and was on a low stable dose, it was hell watching her suffer and i would never intentionally get pregnant while on methadone!

That was very mean. People on methadone usually don't have a choice. Addiction is as much of a disease as diabetes and high blood pressure and has been proven by scientific studies. People on methadone have just as much of a right to have healthy children (which they do everyday) as anyone else and deserve to be commended for conquering opiate addiction!

It does affect your fertility. On methadone, it took me 6 years to get pregnant, and I had a miscarriage. When I went off of it, I get pregnant quite easily. I want a big family, and Im on it currently, and nothing since the miscarriage. I am tapering off so I can acheive my dreams. But yeah, methadone can make it harder to get pregnant, unfortunately. Good luck!

How dare you I'm a mum to a 6 year old I had her on methadone and I'm still on meth and I'm a fab mum

Thank you whoever you are. 100

So in your opinion the methadone does affect your fertility? I've been on methadone over two years now. A year ago my husband and I suffered a miscarriage. Have not started any methods of birth control since and still nothing. He was previously on methadone about 10 years ago ish but has been off it and [amazingly and beautifully] clean ever since. We're just very confused as obviously we got pregnant once before so something has to be okay with both of us. Methadone is such an interesting medication. Everyone treats you awful just for being on it. Its really quite sad. Its just like any other disease that requires treatment. A heart patient isn't treated any different because of their choice of medication. Hmmmm..... So curious if any of the "studies" are accurate at all.

I'm a methadone user of two years now and heroin before that. I completely disagree that drug addiction is just like a disease like people who are diabetics or have cancer. We choose to put drugs into our body and to keep using. We didn't have to but we did. Those people did not choose to be diagnosed with cancer or whatever they have. The truth is they can do everything in there power to try and get rid of the cancer but it don't always work they way they want and it's not there fault. That's not us. We choose this and we can un choose it just as easily. Not saying it's gonna be easy by no means but we know we can beat this if you really want to. Those people can want to all they want but don't mean they will. That's the difference.. All of us can do it. It's the willingness of how bad you really want to stop.

Just cause it didn’t make you more fertile doesn’t mean that it can’t cause other or most women to be more fertile than usual... seriously.. just cause it didn’t have that affect on you doesn’t mean that I doesn’t have that affect on other woman... don’t give shitty advice like this unless you are 100% true..