I had a total thyroidectomy last Friday June 29th. I was hyperthyroid and had Graves Disease. I did a lot of reading in the weeks before my surgery. I found reading your stories here helped me be more prepared for everything I have gone through. Everyones body reacts differently to this surgery but I'm wondering if anyone has had these symptoms in the first week after surgery. I woke up this morning with a sore throat. This isn't the normal throat pain from the trachea tube but is a new pain on the right side as I swallow. I'm also wondering about the skin around the incision swelling more now than the previous 5 days. I have been icing one hour on and two hours off for the last 3 days. The last concern is the incision beneath the outer incision (which is higher up on my neck) seems to be swelling more and causing a pocket in the outer layer of skin about the surgery site. I actually could place a penny in this fold. I saw my surgeon on monday to remove the drain and he says it looked good. Funny how the side effects occur after the appointment. Any experiences or insight would be appreciated and thank you for sharing your stories.

I had a thyroidectomy almost 2 weeks ago and I tried laying on my side for the first time last night. Boy was that a mistake. The whole side of my head, face and neck feel like all of the blood and swelling has pooled to that side. I'm extremely uncomfortable and nauseous. What is going on? My jaw hurts too!

I just had my TT 6 days ago and am very nauseous, headache, and moody. Thinking its the new synthetic hormones they gave me. But not sure. Also could be low calcium levels for me.. Ugg, hear its a long road to get levels right from here on out...