Hello, folks. I have a cousin that has a constant trouble with authorities. I think he grew in a chaotic family and I wonder whether family problems can cause Antisocial Personality Disorder. By the way, I forgot to mention that he was diagnosed this. Thanks for all your replies. It means a lot to me.

Hi, there. Of course family problems can cause Antisocial Personality Disorder. Together with hereditary component they are essential for developing this condition. Children who grew in chaotic families have tendency to develop this condition. If there is a constant conflict in the family and no supervision of adults, it is an excellent terrain for this kind of disorder. Drug or alcohol abuse in the family can also be important. If the parents punish their children all the time, it can also lead to this disorder. Beside family problems, other environmental factors can be important. School is also very important. I hope your cousin will feel better. Bye!