Hello! I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, having been taking some pain killers and did a lot of exercises but still I feel some pain and swelling. One of the other patients in the hospital told me that I may be sensitive to nightshade vegetables. She was in the hurry, so I couldn’t ask her anything to explain. Does anybody here knows what does it mean to be sensitive to nightshade vegetables. Thank you for your time!

Patients with degenerative arthritis are sometimes sensitivity to certain alkaloids naturally present in "nightshade" vegetables. This causes them pain and swelling. Nightshade sensitivity is not the same as allergy, and is not detectable by any laboratory tests in current use. The only way to see whether nightshade vegetables bother you is to totally eliminate tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant from your nutrition together with any exposure to the body. It can happen that these symptoms take 3-4 month to recede. Maybe you could talk to your doctor and if this could be the case with spinal stenosis as well.