Hi, I have been feeling intense pain in my lower back for a really long time. When I finally decided to see a doctor, I was diagnosed with herniated disc in the lumbar part of my spine. The doctor prescribed me some pain killers and referred me to a physical therapist. I am confused with this development. I mean, how will I be able to endure spinal therapy from a physical therapist, when even the smallest movements are causing me pain. Should I follow my doctor's orders despite my worries?

Hi, herniated disc is a very painful condition. I know exactly how you feel, because I suffer from herniated disc as well. And believe me, physical therapy is exactly what you need. I have tried for a very long time to deal with the pain on my own. When the pain killers didn't do the trick any more I paid a visit to my physician. He also referred me to a physical therapist. Unlike you I was ready to do anything to stop the pain. The results were amazing. For two weeks the therapist used several methods to help with the pain. The methods included some kind of vacuum pump massage, then the therapist used a machine for electrotherapy and finally an ultrasound was applied on my skin. At first I had a feeling that the pain is actually getting stronger and that the therapy wasn't helping at all. But after two weeks I felt great. It was like I never had spinal pain. The physical therapist also designed a workout program that I follow regularly. However, besides all the progress, I occasionally have episodes of intense back pain. These episodes are very rare, but when they happen I go to my therapist for treatment. So don't doubt your doctor and follow his advice. You will see just how much you will benefit from spinal physical therapy.