I have a daughter that is 15 years old, who has suffered from mono last year. Her doctor says it is a very tough virus, and is still active up to a year after first becoming ill. After being infected, she needed a lot of rest, which is what her doctor recommended her. He said if she did not rest, enough at the beginning of the illness it will be hang on longer, and might recur later. Can you tell me if that is possible, and which are symptoms of recurring mono infection?

I have a daughter also who is 14 and developed mono and she was given the mono-spot test. She was initially ill from it with fever, bull’s neck for about 2 weeks. After this, she returned to school, and there he caught some sort of other illness, flu or some type of virus. I guess this caused her mono symptoms flared again, so we take her to the doctor. He said it is a virus or mono again, and his symptoms of recurring mono were the same as he had it for the first time. I was thinking if he might needs his tonsils removed, but his doctor said that is not necessary. These symptoms I have noticed as his fever keeps breaking and returning and glands in his neck are more enlarged. I was afraid if something more serious was wrong with him, but the doctor told me that is just recurring mono infection. As you can see, that is something that is not as rare as you thought. Recurring mono symptoms are caused by the same virus as original infection, and it requires doctor’s attention. I would recommend you to follow her doctor’s advices, and once you see there is something wrong, you should report it right away to the doctor.

I got mono last year, i took the spot test and it said i didnt have it. then when they did an in depth test they found out I had it. I didn't have it severly though. Now about a year later I have the exact same symptoms of mono three days after kissing a girl. Is it possible that this is mono or not?

My daughter gets fevers all the time and they are 15. degrees with motrin and tylenol cant seem to get them down. What do you think this is? She also was diagnosed with MRSA. Everyone keeps chucking it up tp viral,I feel it is something more.

My daughter is 15 and has had reoccurring mono for the past 5 years, other than this she is a healthy normal girl. I was told that once you have mono it will always come back positive( the electrolyte test). Last year the mono was real bad she had liver problems and bad pain in her side she was weak and they must have taken over 16 tubes of blood in two weeks. She had MRI's and other tests and at the end of this 2 week doctor spree they found nothing wrong with her liver. Now she is 15 almost 16 and yet again down with mono. her fevers are 103 and 104 sore throat(tested for strep=negative) nausea(no vomiting) we have been referred to a gastenterologist to see what they say about having this mono over and over again. I will post with a result once finished.
I am surprised to see this going on with others as well, I wonder is this actually mono or is it something else and the myth that mono always comes back positive maybe true.... Maybe we should call mythbusters! lol

I just want everyone to know i was diagnosed with mono at the age of 16 and i really didnt feel tired so i stayed home for a couple of days rested then just got back into the loop of things then me and my friends decided to go snowboarding and a couple months had passed and i was doing perfectly fine, and so i went i fell hard on my last run and i had to end up getting my spleen removed out of the whole experience i learned dont rush back into things cause i almost lost my life, and now im left with a huge scar in the middle of my stomach its a big long line and it sucks... so just make sure your very cautious with this disease its a sneeky one..

Kayla

what is the spot check?

I am 14 and i was diagnosed with mono about 2 months ago. At first i thought it was strep throat or something but after going to the doctors and taking a spot test i learned that i had mono but by the time i had found out i was almost feeling better so i only missed school for 1 day. Now it seem like i have the same symptoms again and i though i could only get it once. Im kinda scared to tell my mom to take me back to the doctors cause she freaked out when i first got it and i know she'll freak out this time cause she knows i've been kissing my boyfriend..

My junior year of high school I ended up getting mono 5 months after my boyfriend had it. I first thought I had strep throat but the test came back negative and i found out I had mono. Since then I have had mono 3 times confirmed by my doctor with a blood test and had symptoms each time. The first time was definitely the worst but I was very sick the other two times also. The symptoms are very similar just less intense. now everytime I get sick I'm concerned that it is mono once again

Yes the epstein barr virus does stay in your body for life but when they do the blood test they can tell if it is latent or active. I have had mono several times in the last few years.If your if your imune system is very weakened by other illness you are more apt to get it back. I'm just now getting over a bout with h1n1 and then mono on top of it.

mono was transferred into my body at the beginning of october. i had a headache constantly all through october, and the last week of october, i started getting really tired. that lasted for about a week and then i went into the doctor and got a monospot test. it came up positive and my monocytes were high, and other things will not normal that goes with mono. then, at the beginning of a couple weeks into january, i started getting really bad headaches again, everyday. but i am not yet fatigued. my spleen and liver have been hurting occasionally too, but not too severe. i went in and got more blood drawn to see if this was the mono again, the results came back normal. nothing off balance. not even the monocytes. my question is.. if i would have gotten my blood drawn at the beginning of november, would the test have come back positive and would anything have been wrong or off-balance? i am wondering if this is the mono again or something else. and if i should be prepared for mono to come back again soon.

Did you ever hear back on what the doctor said? Ever since I got mono two years ago everytime I catch something I get those EXACT symptoms.

I was diagnosed with mono at 16. I'm 18 now. Since it is indeed a virus, it will stay with you throughout your lifetime. Since you always have it, sometimes the symptoms will keep coming back. During the initial diagnosis, I was sick for about a month. I don't think I ever really returned to my healthy self. I've had the symptoms return about 10 times since then but they usually last 3 days. I never got sick before the mono and now I get sick all the time. Even if I get a minor cold, the mono symptoms come with it. I'm actually having the lethargy/fever/swollen lymph nodes right now. There's really nothing you can do besides take care of your body and help boost your immune system.

I am 34 years old. I got mono for the first time a little over a year ago. I was in the middle of a divorce and started a new job (so needless to say I wasn't making out with anyone). My doctor told me I was stressed out and got run down and that's how I ended up catching it. He said most likely from eating out and it was on the silverware or a drinking glass. I had to be off work for 2 1/2 weeks. Just a little over a year later I started having symptoms again. I don't think I was stressed out like I was before, but I have been working 2 jobs and only sleeping 4-5 hours a night for the last couple of weeks. Sure enough I saw my doctor today and he did a bunch of blood test and told me I had it again! All that c**p that you can't get it twice is a lie! I don't have the sore throat but I keep spiking fevers....super tired...and my abdominal area hurts and is very tender....and my pee looked like Dr. Pepper for a few days (my doctor said that was from my spleen)and did I mention I was SUPER tired!  I never thought it was possible to be sooo tired. Once you test positive for it you always will but there are a few other blood test they can do. The ones they did on me today can show if the EBV is active or not(which mine was very active). There is nothing they can do for it. Sometimes they will give steroids if your throat is swelling(thankfully mine is not). All I know is you can get mono more then once and it really sucks. My doctor told me that it can take years to really get over it and if you over do it you will get it again. So if you have had it before and are having systoms a simple blood test will show if it is active. Hopes this helps.

I had mono when I was 22 and in college, I laid in my bed for 4 days with a fever and did not eat and felt like I was dying, finally my GF  made me go to the ER and they diagnosed my with mono.  I would not wish this on anyone.  I was sick for about two months and could not eat in the beginning because of nausea, I lost about 20 lbs, and I was thin to begin with.  I came down with the illness in January and by July I was much better but still got winded when playing sports.  I would say it took me about a year till I felt 100% again while exercising and got my speed and endurance back.

That being said, I have never had any symptoms come back and have been healthy since, I am now in my 40s.  Hang in there, it will get better.