Hi, my girlfriend has mono. I guess I got it to, but without any obvious signs for now. I would like to know how serious is a case of infectious mononucleosis? Why is it called a kissing disease?

The symptoms of mono usually disappear without treatment lasting from one to four months. Spleen or liver enlargement is commonly seen, and this may induce limited activity until these organs return to normal condition. Rarely, heart problems or central nervous system may be involved. So called “kissing disease” is spread by EBV (Epstein-Barr virus),and infection is transmitted by contact with saliva of infected person. The incubation period ranges from 4 to 6 weeks. Infected people may be able to spread the infection for some time to others.Even healthy people can carry and spread mono for long time, even for lifetime.