My friend told me he had MRI performed the other day and that he was found to have a spur on a tailbone. He also told me that he felt this spur through the skin, that is why he went to get examined. He also said it was painful for him. The thing is that I didn’t understand what this spur exactly is!

This growth on the bone is called spicule or bony spur. The spur points backwards at the tip of the coccyx, and can always be felt through the skin. There are three different coccyx spurs. In 14% of coccyx pain this is the cause. It may be present from the birth and in that case there is a pit in the skin over the spur. This is usually invisible on x-rays, but may be seen on MRI images. Spicules only caused pain in thin patients, who do not have any padding of fat over the spur. The usual treatment for spicules is a local injection around the spicule but there could also be an operation performed.

Hello, i have a question. Can u only take the spicule out by cutting it ? i have a spicule on my coccyx and after ridding a horse i had problem with the skin just on the top of the spur. thx