So recently my tailbone has been becoming a problem for me. The area around my tailbone has been hurting me for amost a week now and there haven't been any accidents or incidents when it comes to that area of my body. It hurts whenever I sit or stand. It really hurts when I try to lay flat on my back. It feels as if it is swollen. I haven't fallen on my butt. It just started hurting one morning when I started getting ready for the day. It also hurts when I cough or laugh. It seems like it might be really serious:S I really want to know if I should just wait it out or if it is serious enough to go see my doctor. Please someone, advice?

Hi K12,

Your coccyx probably is inflamed.

Sometimes this pain just happens, there isn't any known cause. In other cases it could be a cyst or a broken bone.

If the pain continues then you should see your doctor.

I have been having tailbone pain for 2 1/2 month, I had MRI twice one of the coccyx and it showed nothing, my doctor then scheduled me for an xray that showed nothing but the area where my tailbone is, is swollen they can not find the problem. It hurts like hell....unsolved mystery....now they want to put me on pain meds but I need to know what is causign the pain