My Colombian parents introduced me to many fruits and vegetables that
are considered exotic here in the states. Now, as a grown up, things my
husband grew up with are exotic to me!!

What's the best way to cook them? I found a garlic mashed potato recipe
that includes them ,but I wanted more ideas.

Please help!

Actually I have never cared for turnips because my grandmother forced me to eat them as a child. But my current gf likes them and these are the two ways I prepare them. (Yeah I picked her for the novelty factor since I never met anyone who claimed to like turnips before -HaHa)

3 medium turnips (About 1 lb)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Peel turnips, cut into 1/2 inch cubes or 2x1/2 inch sticks. Cook covered in boiling water 10-12 minutes or till crisp-tender; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. (Serves 4)

The traditional grandma way of cooking turnips:

Peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes or strips. Cook covered in salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Mmmmmm...that's good stuff Clark. HaHa

So are they bitter, nasty things? Or does the lemon juice serve to counteract the acidity of the turnip?
I think I'll try your first recipe tonight.

I'd have to put turnips in the gross category, but they're not so gross that I wouldn't eat them if someone served them to me. Mussles on the other hand, :puke:

Slice them up and put them in greens! My husband was raised on this stuff too (grits, okra, greens...boggling to us Yankees), being raised in Florida (and I had never considered Florida really S. until I met him).

OMG I LOOOOOOVE mussels!!! With fra diavolo (hot) sauce! YUM YUM YUM

I know there was a recipe in one of the recent cooking mags I get, I'll look and see which one and post it. I don't normally eat them but have been wanting to try for variety.

I get the mag and I think this month's feature was actually on root vegetables. I'm not a veggie, don't think I could EVAH fully give up meat, but I try to do meatless a couple times a week, and the mag is great for ideas.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

turnips are pretty good in soups, also you can roast them along with other root vegetables..potatoes, carrots, onions, with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic...can even add a bit of apple cider if you want.

Hey, I did some more research and found an awesome recipe for turnips! It even reheats better the next day.

Lotsa garlic! yumm!

If anybody reads this and wants the recipe, pm me and I'll give it to you.

Boil the cr@p out of them with some carrots and then mash them together with a little brown sugar and butter.

Looks like it is also a treatment for SARS

Wouldn't it be cool if nature could provide a remedy for SARS?