last year my friend introduced me to rhubarb and not only did I like the taste of the cooked and sweetened rhubarb, but personally, I like to eat it fresh as well.

My husband is not so keen on fresh rhubarb, but since we have it planted in our small garden, I was wondering if anyone could suggest me some healthy recipes that would help to preserve rhubarb nutritional values despite cooking? I know that adding sugar when I cook it just adds more calories, but would sweeteners like stevia work better?

Hello Alex,

stevia is definitely far better choice than sugar simply because it has no calories and it's far sweeter so you need smaller amount, so health wise, of course is better for your sweet treats to have lower calories.

As far as nutritional benefits of rhubarb are concerned, rhubarb is a great source of dietary fiber, but also magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium and potassium. Only the vitamin C breaks down during cooking - so eating a fresh rhubarb is a good way to get vitamin C. Besides this, all other nutritional values of rhubarb remain the same, even when it's cooked.

Hi Alex,

like marlei said, stevia is way better alternative for sugar, but make sure you get the one that has higher percentage of steviosides - otherwise you can get a bit bitter after taste from the second sweet substance it contains. I personally perfer to use Clear Stevia Liquid which has 90% steviosides. And here is my recipe for rhubarb and raspberry jam:

You'll need:

5 cups rhubarb, cut into fine pieces

4 cups sugar 6 oz. (this corresponds to 10 tbs. of stevia liquid)

and raspberry gelatin.

Cook the rhubarb with a small amount of water in the saucepan. Heat until stringy and soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add stevia and cook an additional 10 minutes exactly. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the gelatin and stir. Carefully pour the mixture into jelly jars and cover with lids. Allow to cool completely and freeze until ready to use.

Thank you for this recipe! We both love raspberry, so I think this will be great. One question though, how do I know which stevia product has higher percentage of steviosides? Is it listed in nutritional facts, or is should I just ask at our local store? One additional recipe I've found is for rhubarb jam, but that recipe requires sugar for it to solidify - I guess some treats still need to be caloric, which I guess is fine as long as we don't over-indulge. Anyone else with recipe ideas is welcome to contribute!