I quit smoking cigarettes in october so about 3 months ago. I been having this problem where I fall asleep but wake up due to stopping breathing. it sounds like sleep apnea from what I read but It doesnt mattrr how I sleep. On my stomache back or sides I still wake up periodically feeling the need for air. I never had this before quitting smoking and it came on within 2 days after I quit. I have also a need to yawn quite frequently that seems to go away sometimes and come back. Alot of times this yawn is unable to be complete, like im unable to expand any further to complete a satisfying yawn. I dont know if this is part of shortness of breath it mau be a lack of oxygen but I dont really feel like im out of breath just that I need to yawn. I do feel a bit like there is some kind of congestion at the top of my chest but I dont feel like I need to cough or anything. I sometimes feel out of it but I think thats from not getting a full nights rest as I keep waking up not breathing. It seems to be worse some days than others. I never had any of the problems above before I quit. I hear some of these synptoms are normal within first 2 weeks of quitting but Are these things normal after 3 to 4 months of not smoking? Mostly im scared about the stop breathing during sleep ,it feels horrible and i cant get good sleep so im tired often. Can anyone relate or has anyone had these symptoms beyond the first 2 weeks of quitting?

Jack,

This is all normal. I have been quit for 7 months and still have crazy anxiety. All the other symptoms have pretty much subsided including the breathing stopping while sleeping. This was real scary. Read the posts in this link and you will see you are not alone. This a tough road. Eat well talke a fish oil pill with a high EPA like Country Life Mood and agood B-Complex vitamin.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Quit_smoking_a_year_ago___sick_ever_since__t85171.html

Keith

Thank you, Keith. Its good to hear from someone who has gone through it that it will get better. The asthma-like symptoms and stopping breathing when sleeping are very scary especially when I never had these problems before. About how long after you stopped did these symptoms go away? You quit 7 months ago, were you still feeling this way 3 months in as I am now?

I am still going through withdrawals mostly anxiety and that is only a couple times every few weeks. I used to have anxiety and panic attacks every day when I was in my 3rd month. My stomach was in knots I lost 30 pounds because I felt sick every minute so i could not eat I even went to the ER a few times thinking I was having a heart attack. The waking up gasping for air and all stomach related issues I think went away around my 5th month or so Thank God. If you look at the link in the last post you will see that many of us are all going through the same thing. I think when we smoked it masked a lot of symptoms and really altered our brain chemicals and it takes time for it to realize that it will no longer get that stimulant it was use to getting for so many years. The brain does not like changes and takes awhile to recalculate. At least that is my take on it. I went to the doctor yesterday for a routine checkup and when I mentioned about still having anxiety the doctor mentioned about going on Zoloft. I really don't want to start another drug that will alter the brain and will take time to come off of like smoking did. I know I'm heading in the right direction because I am feeling way better then I was months ago, so I just need to not panic roll with the punches and hang in there. Besides, living in NY and all this crappy weather being cooped up in the house does not help. Once spring comes around, I'll feel even better because I love being outside messing around the house. Keep posting how you feel a lot of people have dropped off because I think they no longer need to come here because they feel better but I will try to keep checking in for support because I know how you all feel and what a crazy ride it has been for me. This site has really saved me from loosing my mind because I never felt this way as a smoker so why now after quitting? A friend of mine did not feel 100% until about a year after his quite then one day it just all went away and has not come back that was 4 years ago. Here is my daily intake of vitamins which I feel has helped a great deal for what it's worth?.

Country Life Omega 3 Mood Support (This helps a great deal with Depression and Anxiety)
Nature Made Stress B-Complex (Has nice amount of vitamin C and other needed minerals)
Now brand D-3 2500 iu
Jarrows Inositol power for liver detox and cellular function.

Try eating healthy and exercise daily is good for stress. Good Luck

Keith

Sorry I didnt respond sooner. I have been busy. Also it feels like the more exercise I do, it helps for that day. I guess its about making my lungs work harder and that helps clean them out? I dont know but a good walk or jog seems to help and I dont feel the shortness of breath or the unsatisfied breaths. The feeling of waking up at night during sleep needing to breath comes and goes but it feels weaker than it did before, like my body is slowly healing. I think things are getting better little by little. Even with these symptoms 3 to 4 months after quitting, quitting is still the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. I will try and post here more especially to inform people about how it feels. Its funny, I have always heard people telling me I should quit but i never heard about the symptoms that come with that. I was completely clueless that quitting smoking would cause such symptoms.

Glad you are doing better. Funny people who go back to smoking must not have had a hard quit? I know what I have been through and still going through I will never pick up another cig even through I sometimes really crave one.

Keith