[21 August 2012] I'm 26 years old. 9 years smoking. This is my experience in quit smoking.

I quit smoking since 20 April 2012. When I stop, I was suffering food poisoning. With this opportunity I resolve to quit smoking (cold turkey). The following are symptoms that occur to me since the first day I quit smoking:

3 days - 2 weeks = abdominal pain, high fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fainting, loss of appetite, fatigue, blurred vision, loss of interest in the hobby.

As a result of all these symptoms, I did not attend the test at my college. I also vomit after I play badminton and begins to lose interest in that hobby. There was a day I feel tired all day and feel like want to die. The whole body feel cold, around me became silent, just heard my heart beat very fast.

2 weeks - 2 months = Anxiety, depression, high fever, nausea, vomiting, phlegm, sore throat, dry throat, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, lung irritation, chest tight, strong heartbeat, tiredness.

As a result of all these symptoms, I went to the doctor 2 times and tell me that I was normal but a little stress. Anxiety and depression is killing me. I feel like I want to die. Longing to cigarettes started playing in my mind. But I still managed to hold. Discomfort in my chest cause I think something strange such as lung cancer and heart disease. Perhaps this is the detox process.

2-4 months = Anxiety, shortness of breath, lung irritation, dizziness, fainting, sore throat, dry throat, strong heartbeat

At this time, I think my condition has improved. Only a few remaining symptoms. I have started doing normal activities in my college. Just short of breath and heart beat very fast that interfere with my activities.

4 months - now = Anxiety, shortness of breath, lung irritation, dizziness, sore throat, dry throat, strong heartbeat

Above symptoms often occur at night. When I try to play badminton, 5 minute play I feel dizzy and short breathe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my mind now.....

1. Is that nicotine withdrawal or I have other diseases?

2. Why such a long time and many other people easily quit smoking.

3. I smoke an average only 8 per day and I'm sure I'm not heavy-smokers. Why has not fully recovered since 4 months i quit?

1 - I think your anxiety is making your physical issues worst. I had all of your physical symptoms as well. I feel better now but still have random issues of physical symptoms. It has to do with your body recovering and adapting to a new cellular/biological enviroment. I dont think you have an diseases after you visit the doctors and said you were ok. I had a lost of appeite as well and lost alot of weight becasue of it. I am allready pretty fit as well. My mom said i looked ill. It was mainly my depression and anxiety taking over me. I even checked my stools constantly because i thought i was dying. Anxiety makes your body go into c**p and makes your mind go crazy. Once you control it you will slowly recover. Physical withdrawals can take months or a year - it takes time - after it subsides or gone completly then im sure your anxiety will fade away as well. 

2 and 3-  Every person is different. Example - My friends mom smoked for 35 years and decided to quit using prescriptions drugs. It was easy for her because of the drugs she said. But after she got off the drugs, months later she still got shortness of breath and she started to cough up phlegm. Some people who smoked a pack a day for years and quit cold turkey go through hell. Mainly putting there body in shock which comes with tons of physical symptoms and long recovery time. Some people dont smoke as much but there body is used to a routine. I was like you in my ciggerate count but my body had a routine and was used to it for years. I even had a ciggerate after i worked out and after runnning miles. My body was used to a certain routine and when i quit cold turkey my body went into shock and was asking where the hell is my nicotine - Even though i didnt smoke as much. My friend smoked randomly and when she decided to quit she had no withdrawals. 

So to answer your question - every body is different. But ive learned with every physical symptom i got - i fought it with natural remedies/supplement. When i got constipated i changed my diet with fiber. When i got skin issues i used special lotions and used tee tree oil. When my lungs start to tighten i went for a walk and did deep breathing excercies (which makes you dizzy - your blood is getting more oxygen). There are alot of other examples but It takes time. 

Hang in there and try to relax. When an issues comes up - you have to find a way to beat it. When all physical symptoms subside your anxiety will fade and you will feel alot better. 

Have you notice with all the testimonials in the internet no one comes back after years and state how they are doing. Its most likely they are feeling great and beat the withdrawals. Or sadly they might went back to smoking. 

Good Luck

TQ, Rob_From_SoCal.

Now I 149 days without a cigarette (last cigarette on 20 April 2012). I feel myself getting better. I have not experienced shortness of breath, lung irritation and heart palpitations. Just stay dry throat, difficulty swallow saliva and headache.

I force myself to go jogging even while jogging I felt headache. I also take supplements like Vitamin C and B12. I eat bananas, coconut water and orange. When I'm bored, I eat melon seed and candy to distract my desire. I temporarily avoid drinking coffee and tea.

As you know, every pain is sacrifice, each sacrifice requires patience.

iqbalmatadzin wrote:

TQ, Rob_From_SoCal.

One way to quit , is to drink very cold water everytime you feel the urge for a cigarette. Keep a bottle of drinking water with you at all times and replenish the water in the bottle at every opportunity you get. Either the office water cooler or soome other source. The urge stays for less than 2 minutes. Just stay cool!

Also challenge yourself by going regularly to a gym for a 45 min workout. 20 mins on the treadmill and 25 mins working out with weights.
I have tried this and I have been smoke free for the last 18 months!

Ranjit Gurkar

Hang in there, I experience many of the same things you are talking about, I quit 4 months ago, and still have chest pain, like to work out with weights, but feel "dizzy" sometimes during or after and can't go as long sometimes, but my Bench press is 360 lbs now, as compared to 270 when I smoked. I can walk long distances and run short distances without any shortness of breath. I can take full breaths I do believe it will get better for all of us.

so sorry me too crazy its been two months total anxiety cant deal with work stress crying spells body hurts feels like i am 90 cant go #2 at all in 4 days miserable. I have no desire to smoke i thinks its all BS i probably need some meds till i am stable. problem is i cant think on meds and my job is very fast moving and you need to be quick. ughhhhh i just want to take a break for me and i cant!!!! No way am i going to smoke its bullcrap!!!!

[11 March 2013 update] I'm 27 years old. 9 years smoking. This is my experience in quit smoking.

I quit smoking since 20 April 2012 (almost 11 months). When I stop, I was suffering food poisoning. With this opportunity I resolve to quit smoking (cold turkey). The following are symptoms that occur to me since the first day I quit smoking:

2 weeks - 2 months = Anxiety, depression, high fever, nausea, vomiting, phlegm, sore throat, dry throat, loss of appetite, shortness of breath (SOB), lung irritation, chest tight, strong heartbeat, tiredness.

2-4 months = Anxiety, SOB, lung irritation, dizziness, fainting, sore throat, dry throat, strong heartbeat

4-6 months = Anxiety, SOB, lung irritation, dizziness, sore throat, dry throat, strong heartbeat

6-7 months = Anxiety, SOB, chest suddenly became cold and heavy feeling at left muscle. I feel very down. Feel like want to die.

7-9 months = (<25%) Anxiety, cold symptom, heart palpitations, body aches, sore throat (probably hypothyroid) and boredom. From my experience, when I had a sore throat, it will also experience shortness of breath, headache, and upper chest discomfort. This adds another episode of my anxiety and feel like want to die

Month 9 = (<50%) Anxiety, heart palpitations (mybe cause of anxiety), body aches (always at my back body), dry mouth and throat (feel dry from adam's apple until upper chest).

Month 10 - now = (<75%) Anxiety, gas (related with light headache+ feel unbalance). Last week, i experience digestive problem (heartburn, acid indigestion) and minor sore throat but it's getting better.

<sharinthevision>

According to my timeline, you can see that I'm getting recovered from nicotine withdrawal. Honestly I feel recovered, although there are still some minor symptoms.

Don't give up quitting. Now I am able to see the light in the dark tunnel, for now. :-D

This is great. I'm on month two

Hi. Your story is inspiring. I hope I could talk with you so I could get the details of your nicotine withdrawal. My father recently suffered from his second stroke, and had to abruptly stop smoking. He is over 60 years old and, according to sources, smoked since his teens. He is on his third week of quitting smoking and he barely eats. His weight loss is so sudden and very obvious. He does not want to go to the doctor for a checkup. He gets angry whenever I suggest a checkup. I wish there is something I could do.

HANG IN THERE PEEPS! Quitting smoking can be HELL! But don't worry...it will all get better! I quit smoking on 01/25/13 and from then on, experienced every single withdrawal symptom...coupled with the insurmountable stress and anxiety due to my dad's passing away in Jan 18,2013. I thought i was gonna literally die. I would eat out and end up throwing up at the parking lot several times and rushed to the ER 3 times! Had EKGs twice at the ER and once at my doctor's...did blood tests...and guess what, nothing is wrong with me! Only if they knew the sh*t i was going thru. On the second month, I was having a bad acid reflux and blurred vision. Went to my doctor and was prescribed Prilosec 40mg for the acid in my stomach and clonopin .25mg for anxiety attacks....Went to my eye doctor and was given a prescription reading glass for the computer and ipad but ultimately, nothing was wrong with my eye sight.. I thought i was going nuts! the first 3 months were the hardest for me....I would go to the track and walk and run alternately....and everything was fine until i think i get anxiety attacks....had to beat that sh*t...so i always take deep breaths...since i quit smoking, i could never start my day without eating breakfast....and that i have to eat small meals every 3 hours...drink a lot of water and get a lot of rest and sleep.....and now im on my 5 1/2 month mark, i feel WAY BETTER.....except for when time passes by and i forget to eat.....i feel all the symptoms crawling in my system but i beat it by eating regularly and walking.

Here's a list of the all the stuff i took and still take when i feel the symptoms:

Acid reflux:

Prilosec - take it first thing in the morning before eating anything

Yakult - pro biotic, food digestion (check asian stores)

Tums - if you have acid reflux spells during the day

PEPTO BISMOL - My stomach loves this thing! Chew 2 tabs before or after any meal when u feel bloated.

Anxiety attacks:

Clonazepam .25mg - would also make you sleep well.

Brain health:

Vitamin B complex plus C - boost brain health and immune system

Constipation:

Colace - better than any other laxatives.

Food:

a lot of veggies and lean meat. eat regularly. :-)

The withdrawals would spell H E L L but look at the brighter side....things can only get better...think of the things that you would and can do by taking smoking out of the equation. You did the most important thing....that is to quit....forge ahead and good luck! :-)

I gave up smoking a month ago. I went to the ER many times, right after. Head pressure and Pain. I did MRI tests on my spine and brain, came back normal. I did blood tests, came back normal. I still have head pressure a bit often while doing some kind of medium activity. I have lots of anxiety and stress depression, thinking I can’t snap out of this feeling and my body giving up on me. I couldn’t eat for the first 2 weeks from so much Health Anxiety. I started eating better slowly but truly better. Sometimes I’ll get stiff joints and pain either in my back or arms overall anywhere in my body and it happens, PAIN! I got up today to go get a birth certificate for my wife in the scorching heat and felt like I was going to faint. I hope all this goes away. The fatigue is killing me. Thing is this is my third time quitting in 1 year. The first time I quit was for 3 months, and I felt great but got back into it. The second time was for 2 months but for the second time I came back heavier then ever. I do want to also mention I quit drinking PEPSI same time I quit smoking. I used to drink at least 1 PEPSI a day on average and some days not. Maybe all this is happening because I quit only for 2 months and my body was healing it self then I came back and smoked even harder and stopped again with caffeine. I hope I get better from the anxiety and fatigue. This tender spot on the back top middle part of my head where your bones kind of dip causes me dizziness as well. Its very tender and if I barely touch it I get dizziness. I hope all this anxiety weakness feeling of death and sadness goes away. I think the biggest part of it is I'm so weak and can't speak up and be physically strong that it makes me feel something is wrong with me. God is Great.

I have this idea that smoking serves as inhibitor, in the sense that it soften our perception. What I mean is that whatever we sensed as smokers now we sense more intensely, at least our receptors perceive sharper signals. Actually I’m pretty sure of this. Thus I think, all those physical and anxiety related disorders, are the affect we experience while our organism is readjusting.

I am in my fifth quit month now, and observing my reactions and learning of others, I really feel confident that yes, it is quite an enterprise to stop smoking and that it has several different stages, it is not just stopping the intake of nicotine and the gesture of lighting up, yet this quitting experience is a great opportunity to learn a lot; not very comfortable, agreed,  but in the end it’s just like sitting on an unstable wooden bench while we are building ourselves a stable silky sofa.  It just takes a while…

Blessings

It is common to suffer low thyroid for some reason it is highly correlated with stopping smoking .

Get your thyroid checked just to be on the safe side.

good luck x

Thyroid problem? Its your immune system re-adjusting. Smoking was a way of dealing with your stress. Learn new ways of dealing with stress and read getting the love you deserve harvill hendrix. excellent communication examples in book.
.