I stopped smoking Sept. 5th, 2006. I have been sick ever since. I smoked for about 38 years and I have never really been sick with the exception of a common cold, a couple of times a year. Now that I no longer smoke I have kept a cold and I don't seem to be able to clear my throat. What's up with this??? I thought I was going to slowly feel better and better. Is is normal?? Do others experience the same sort of health issues??

I also have been sick since I quit smoking in Aug. of 2006. My lungs hurt like crazy. Why is this, the doctor says they sound fine, so what is up! I get every cold that comes around, plus the flu, etc. My doc has no explanation for me. Does anyone out in cyber space have any answers or advice, etc.? Thank you!

stopped smoking after at least 40 years 1st month felt great sometime during the second month developed underactive thyroid, have since learned of someone else this has happened to ,anyone know if this is a common thing. tony

I also quit smoking after 42 years and have been diagnosed with hypothyroid, type 2 diabetes, as well as having many issues with sinuses.

I truly believe that the poisons that were in the cigarrettes kept certain illnesses from happening to me but I also know that my health suffered in many other ways from smoking.

I think things like the smokers' flu, nausea, coughing, anxiety, and a feeling of tingling in the extremities, can all be explained by the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine smoking. This is why so many newly ex smokers feel ill right after they quit. It's their body going through withdrawal, and though they feel ill, make no mistake - their body becomes less affected by their nicotine addiction every day, every moment they don't light a cigarette. The longer you stay quit, the more your risk of smoking related illnesses goes down. I would encourage everyone who is going through this right now to stay quit. It does get better. 

I am experiencing similar symtoms. I feel there's a constant lump on the left side of my throat and I have problems swallowing. Sometimes I get a sharp pain and have problems breathing so I'm gagging for air.

Hi - I also have given up smoking after over 20 years of 20 a day and have had every cold ache and pain going since. I have not felt as healthy as when I smoked and have just been diagnosed with Asthma - at 42 that seems odd. The benefits are I have more money and can smell much more acutely but as for feeling better I'm sorry but I don't. Anyone give me some tips??

THis thread is relavent to me as well. I am 36 and smoked for about 20 years. It has been 5 years since I stopped smoking regularly but still occasionally will have a cigarette or a joint. Whenerver I do this is seems to take about 2or3 days of hacking up some yellow phlegm before I feel normal again. After doing some research on line it seems that this maybe early signs of COPD. Can anyone confirm this?

did you know that sum of the chemicals preseve your body e.g your emuine system and other

1 month since I stopped smoking. I also had the thoughts that you are having regarding the potential benefit of smoking. I have a sore throat and have gained 10 lbs without changing my eating habits.

But, let's not kid ourselves and give our bodies time to recover. Even my physician said that many people get lung cancer AFTER quitting. I'm not going to let that bother me. I'm going to live the best I can now.

Three weeks ago I had pneumonia and decided to quit smoking. My doc prescribed me antibiotics and an albuterol inhaler to get me through the pneumonia. After taking the meds I still didn't feel like I could breathe any better but didn't have the fever. I went back to my doc 3 days ago and he said I may have asthma. Just doesn't make any sense...you quit..and you get sick. I just really thought you were supposed to get better. I can't breathe, I cough uncontrollably, my chest is tight, and I wheeze. This sucks! I'm only 30 years old. The doc has prescribed me with steroids to help open my bronchial tubes and told me to continue using the inhaler and it still doesn't seem like its helping. I'm trying not to worry about it but I can't get the thought that I may have something worse out of the back of my head. :'(

Well, I've quit smoking so many times I can't count. I quit for a year and went back, then I quit for 7 mo. and went back, so on and so fourth. Recently I quit again and when I quit, I got this horrible cough that didn't go away. I had a hard time clearing my throat etc. Then recently I picked up a pack of cigarette and smoked them this last week. The first cigarette within a few hours made my cough go away. Well, now it's a week later and I just quit again, and I have stuffy sinus problem, and cannot clear my throat and my cough feels like it's on it's way back. I'm already starting to cough..What is going on? Can someone explain this?

This is exactly whats happened to me as well! I smoked about a pack and a half a day for about 10 years, and suddenly stopped about 10 days ago; now i cough every 10 minutes, my throat feels "smaller" or "thinner", if that makes sense? The only answer I can think of is that the lungs are no longer overwhelmed, and are clearing themselves through the only route available to them - the throat. Thats just a guess though.

I've been sick almost every day since I quit 4 months ago and I've never been sick in the summer once in my entire life.

I hope this is normal. I guess my body is trying to clean itself out? I can say that the few days I was not sick I felt absolutely incredible and had so much energy.

Glad to see I am not alone !! Thought I was going nuts. I quit after 52 years and am going through hell. First I woke up in the middle of the night,30 days after quitting,and I could not breathe in. Scaird me to death.
Happened two nights in a row. I went back to smoking for a year. I quit again the first of November. Now trouble breathing,tightness in chest.
No coughing,no phlegm.
Went to lung specialist. He ran xray and Breathing test in closed in glass booth. Said it was emphyzema and the term of the day,COPD. Put me on steroids and inhaler and oxygen at nite. None of it is helping. I quit the Dr. I quit the medicines and today quit the oxygen. Maybe if I get bad enough to go to the emergency room,someone will know what to fix.
The strange part is I can take allergy,over the counter medicines,wait an hour and go for a walk. Breathing better for 4 to 8 hours. I am still experimenting with these ,as some work better than others. I am out of the one that worked best and will try to find more on my next trip into town.