Hello! I have a smoking problem. Many times until now I have tried to quit with smoking. Now my friend recommended me Chantix. She told me that Chantix will help me to quit with smoking cigarettes. But, I want to know something more about Chantix and withdrawal symptoms. Thank you!

Hello! Chantix is developed because of withdrawal symptoms. I mean, Chantix will make easier withdrawal symptoms. Chantix contains small quantity of nicotine. So, when you take Chantix pill, your needs for cigarette will vanish. But, doctors do not recommend using Chantix more than twelve weeks. I hope this answer helped you.

Chantix does NOT contain nicotine; it blocks the receptors in your brain that cause you to crave nicotine. Even on Chantix there are 'some' withdrawals from nicotine, but the withdrawals last only a couple of days generally and are a whole lot better than having those withdrawals not on Chantix. People that are heavy smokers (2-3 packs aday for years), most doctors recommend that you stay on Chantix for 90 days, even after you have quit smoking.

scarface1168 wrote:

yeah wrong theres no nicotine in the drug...sorry buddy

I've been using chantix for 8 days now and have not had a smoke in 2 days. They took a few days to kick in so for the first 3-4 days I never noticed anything. But giving time they start to take effect.

I noticed that when I smoked I could never finish one and would often stub it out after a few puffs. In fact 2-3 days before I stopped I would smoke around 2-3 a day, down from around 25. The withdrawl symptoms I'm experiencing is more the habit of smoking than the physical need. Im used to smoking while on the computer etc.

I am noticing a few side effects like finding it a bit harder to sleep. I also seem to be passing gas more often, or maybe my sense of smell is just coming back :$

Whew, I thought it was just me! I've been on Chantix for a full month..just started my second month's pack last Friday. I was a heavy smoker 2-3 packs a day and I enjoyed smoking (I know...that's gross, but it true). I have had some side affects...the gas being the worst. But, it's a small price to pay for the help I get from the Chantix. I'd tried to quit cold turkey and I got violently ill in the middle of the night. Chantix has made it 99.9% easier to quit. I LOVE the way my house smells now. It's awesome.

If I can quit, anyone can quit on Chantix.

I am 54 female, in over 10 years in recovery. this medicine makes you initially feel pregnancy nausea,severe stomach cramping, can't eat, and on the 5th week began a full blown mental meltdown. Anxiety, overwhelming sadness and out of control and character behavior. I would not recommend this medication to anyone! But most especially anyone who lives with any kind of mental illness, drug recovery, or unmonitored constantly by your doctor. It's dangerous and makes you very sick physically and mentally. Please ask your doctor for something else or prepare to turn angry, and mental as a possible side effect.

Chantix does create some some anxiety symptoms, especially in those who are already suffering from mental health issues. Many have reported anxiety/depression/malaise while on Chantix, so much that it now carries warnings similar to anti-depressants.

For those who have a bit more mental stability, Chantix can be a highly effective aid to stopping smoking. I used it for 9 weeks and was done smoking after 3. I smoked out of habit after the first week, and got no satisfaction out of a butt after that.

I am prone to depression, and Chantix makes me feel better. I stopped drinking and using marijuana also (I started again after stopping the Chantix), and felt an overall change for the better in me while on Chantix. I wish it could be taken long term, because it makes me a better person. Really. I cant take Wellbutrin or other anti-depressants, they make me way too aggro. The Ted Bundy kind of aggro.

If your mentally stable, not bipolar or schizo affective or similar, Chantix will probably help you. Monitor yourself, and ask a family member to also. Its pretty obvious when its not going to work for you. GI discomfort is reported quite a bit, but its temporary. Personality changes probably mean its not for you. In that case, try the Wellbutrin.

Chantix gives me Highly Lucid Dreams, and I loved it. Some persons may be bothered by this, but I loved it. I keep a journal of my dreams anyways, but while on Chantix they were absolutely vivid. I was living another life while I slept, and was able to gain consciousnesses while dreaming, and actively participate in my dreams. It was great for me, but again, this may be too much for some, and it is a well documented side effect. Chantix should be blue instead of white (Alice or Neo, anybody?)

I am currently on my second try with Chantix.

Chantix did NOT fail me the first time - i failed. I had successfully quit for 6 months, but had my home broken into and I was devastated and broke down and turned to cigs for comfort. That led to cigs every day again. I took Chantix for 8 weeks the first try. Initially it would cause nausea, but I learned that if I took it about 1/2 hour after I ate, i would not be nauseous. The crazy dreams tapered off after a few weeks, and the bad gas lingered (no pun intended) a bit longer. I did notice that I was a little bit on the depressed side after taking it, but I don't know if was the Chantix, things going on in my life, or a combo of also taking Birth Control Pills.

This time around, I've only had crazy dreams and bad gas :$
No depression at all, however, I am also taking Paxil for anxiety.

Chantix is not a miracle drug, but helps you stay on track with your willpower and your desire to quit by lessening the withdrawl symptoms. It is essential to keep in mind that you have to want to quit for you and you'll still have to fight of some urges.

If you have any pre-existing depression or anxiety, make sure you explain this to your doctor before filling a prescription. S/he may be able to prescribe you a mild anti-depressant to take with it.

Like someone above said, If I can do it, you can do it!

I took Chantix for two weeks. By the last day of those two weeks, I had to stop the medication. Was getting vertigo whenever I moved my head, was so incredibly sleepy during the day and restless at night. I also started developing weird body aches, such as both elbows and biceps hurting so bad that I couldn't straighten my arms. That on top of the constant nausea, I couldn't deal with it anymore. I have to admit, even though I didn't quit smoking, I had cut down to 1/2 pack a day because they just didn't taste good anymore. I do believe I went through some sort of withdrawl for a couple of days after stopping...sweating profusely, headaches, all over body aches and again...sleepiness. It's been four days since I stopped taking the pills and my symptoms are gone, but now the cigarettes taste good again. Trying to keep myself down to the 1/2 pack a day now seems like a challenge. Oh well, no miracle pill for me.

Good luck to you that are able to withstand the symptoms it does bring on.

Thanks for posting your experience with Chantix. I think it's important to realize that even reducing your cigarette use is beneficial to your health so please do consider that even though you had to quit, you have definitely added some years to your life by quitting. Have you tried any other methods to quit? I also think what you said about no perfect method to quit was pretty accurate--there is no such thing as a magic bullet.

I see all these side affects to Chantix that seem far fetched. I am amazed how we can blame a pill that is simply stopping the receptors in our brain from the craving to having all these crazy side affects THAT GO ALONG WITH WITHDRAWEL AND QUITTING. I had crazy dreams that went away after a few weeks, BUT the dreams did not bother me. Dreams are not supposed to be reality. I would rather quit smoking and have weird dreams for a few months than continue to smoke the rest of my life. A few times I got nautious, BUT I did not eat anything. If you aren't going to eat something or have a glass of milk, expect some nausea. It tapered after the first month and it only happened a couple times. Depression, mood swings, anxiety....HELLO! It is withdrawel. Ask your doctor for something to deal with this. As for the chest pain...your lungs are free of new smoke after how many years. Your body is stressed because your body has been addicted to something that is horribe for us. I have been smoking 15 years and I am on my 12th week. I had chest pain and coughed up muchous for a couple weeks because of me quitting...not because of the pill. It would have happened with or without the pill. I think it is a miracle that I made it this long. I actually have been smoke free for only 28 days. I cut back dramatically because of the pill. It allowed me to slowly learn new habits. Finally, 28 days ago I just said I was done. I am going to take it a couple more months to ensure Im done. Dont listen to all the negativity. If you have a lot of health issues or not, you know your body. Don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. It is a miracle. Remember to do your research on symtoms of quitting overall, not just with chantix. Find support and be consistant in following through. If you light up during your 12 weeks, don't stop taking the pill. We all slip. I slipped until I was finally free of the habit 28 days ago.

I was 2 pack a day smoker, and had been close to that for around 15 years. Had never even attempted quitting before. I took Chantix for 30 days, and I must say I think it helped the withdrawal process & cravings a ton. I mean, to be honest, coming off the niccotine wasn't bad at all.

One thing I wasn't prepared for though (nobody I had talked to had ever experienced this) was what happened when I stopped taking the pill. I got all over body aches and terrible chills at night (flu-like symptoms) and a terrible headache that lasted 2 days no matter what I took for it. I threw exedrine migrain and alieve at the aches and didn't do a thing. It subsided after a couple days though. Just a heads up....if you experience this...it's ok, it sucks ass for a couple days and then dissapears.

I will recommend Chantix to anyone quiting smoking. I'm 30 days without a cig.

Guest wrote:

This is EXACTLY what happened to me! In my third ay of being totally quit now, and began cutting back to .5 mg/day. I will drop to zero tomorrow, 4th day of being quit

I have used Chantix for 3 weeks now, haven't had a smoke in 9 days. I was a 2-pack a day smoker for 40 years, and I have tried to quit several times. Patches, gum, other drugs - nothing ever worked for me as well as Chantix. It really minimizes the withdrawal symptoms, actually cigarettes don't taste good while you are on it, so cravings are weaker. You still have to fight the habit, but the drug takes care of the physical side of addiction. For me the side effects are sleep problems and gas, but I don't know if they are caused by the drug or by withdrawal of nicotine and by chewing a lot of gum. In any case, they became less severe after the first few days. And sure, I have become irritable, but less so than when I tried to quit cold turkey! In fact, I already feel a lot better than when I was chain-smoking.
If I don't develop any new side-effects, I intend to stay on Chantix for a long time, probably for 6 months or so. A friend, who quit 2 years ago, took it for 9 months (she took half the regular dose for the last 3 months), because she wanted to be absolutely certain that her addiction was over. She forced herself to smoke the usual amount for the first 2 or 3 weeks on Chantix, until cigarettes made her very ill. After that she would get nauseous just thinking of nicotine, which made it easier for her to quit.
In any case, I really hope this is it for me, and I wish you all luck kicking this awful addiction.