hello,
end of feburary I was out of work for a week and was very fatigued, had a high fever 102-103ish, Glands are all swollen and so was tongue by this time. I had whitish spots/areas only on my swollen glands and back of my throat, tongue a bit withered looking at times, mornings especially.

by march i was still ill, with whitish spots/areas on my swollen glands, tongue a bit withered, dry mouth. I was tested again in the 2nd week of april and tests showed i had/have mono.

I'm going through an exteme rollercoaster lately, i feel good for 2 days and then i have a feeling of malaise, feverish/chills for 2 days(temp staying around 98 - 99.5 F) when i feel badly i have bouts of extreme depression that go along with it. traditional antibiotics don't seem to be working, my whitish spots/areas are still there on glands and back of throat. There is an aweful smell from those whitish areas. I've been gargling with dihluted peroxide which seems to help a little, but they're still there.

I've never had mono before, how long will it take for my glands to go down and throat return to normal ? I'm getting extremly scared at different times. It seems i need to be really conscious of what i eat also, will this stay with me forever? I want to return to my normal life, i am afraid to date anyone, this really sucks... :'(

Multiple responses welcome, please share your experiences, or comments
thank you

Well, no wonder antibiotics are not working since mono is a viral disease. The main cause is Epstein Barr virus, and sometimes but rarely, cytomegalovirus (CMV). These two viruses are members of the herpes family.
Since there are no cures for viruses, the only thing to do is rest a lot and watch your food intake, just like you already said. I understand you must be annoyed by having to put up with this disease but it is just what you have to do. There is no other way! And I am sure you know the saying: This too shall pass!

In order to make it go away sooner or at least suffer less: make sure you drink enough water, organize your meals, so that you eat more smaller meals instead of few large ones. Avoid foods like fried foods, processed foods, soft drinks, stimulants, sugar, tea, coffee. Try to include raw foods in your nutrition. You may get a supplement form a pharmacy to boost your immune system, something like vitamins A and E, Beta Carotene, Cat’s claw, Astragalus, etc would be good or you can ask for something else in a pharmacy!

You need to be aware that your symptoms and what you are going through are typical mono symptoms and you just need to rest. Most of the symptoms subside in a month but you may suffer from fatigue for the next couple of months and it may take like three months to be your old self again. The sooner you realize that, the easier you will cope with the disease. Make sure you don’t go back to your regular activities too soon because you could be risking relapse. Once you start recovering, you may want to ask your doc about some strengthening exercises and the time when you should start practicing.
If you are in a lot of pain, you can use painkillers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Thanks for your reply,
i had hoped that by now i would have gotten rid of this... I am getting better but seems very slow, and i'm starting to worry again that its something more than mono. Mentally this is taking a huge toll on me...

I first got ill mid-february so this has been going on for quite some time for me. Some days are good and others aren't so good. but yesterday and today i had a lil reoccurance, i felt like complete cr*p, achy, feverish, severe depression, heavy fatigue and a generally feeling badly, my glands in my throat/tonsils are still inflammed with whitish spots... tylenol doesn't seem to help much with the malaise... Basically always feeling like i'm coming down with something... I really feel like i can't take much more of this, I'm starting to lose it... :'(

Policosanol
Policosanol, part of the Cholesterol Rescue™ family of products, is a blend of compounds isolated from natural plant waxes. Policosanol is derived mainly from sugar cane and wheat germ oil Policosanol contains several long chain fatty alcohols, including octacosanol, hexacosanol and triacontanol.

My glands are swollen too, althiught I don't exactly know why they are. It is really scary and annoying because they are clogging up my windpipe so i can barely breathe. HELP!!!! :'(