Hi all,

I suffered with GERD for 5+ years before having the surgery to correct it (Nissen Funduplocation). Meds, diet change, exercise, etc - didn't work.

The surgery was December 2006, and went well. Since then, I haven't had ANY symptoms!

...Until now.

I have had constant bloating, gas, stomach cramps/pains, and now constant diarrhea (no blood in stool, and alot of the times it's almost pure liquid) - for the past week or so. It doesn't matter what I eat.

I saw my PCP this past Friday, but he has no idea what's going on - and scheduled a CT scan (abdominal & pelvic) which is coming up on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I can't get in to see my GI doc until the 28th.

Anyways, my question is, could this be some kind of virus, or could it possibly be related to my surgery? Everything's been fine until now.

TIA for any feedback!

45 yr old. Post Gerd, 6 months. I lost approxiamtely 25 pounds. I have problems gaining anymore weight no matter what I eat or how much I eat, thats a good thing I think. Some mornings I get a sick feeling, like after you take alot of vitamins of which I do not, followed by stomach gurgles, small craps, and then spend the rest of the day staying close to restrooms. Liquid... When we go out, I do not eat very much, as to protect myself from what I term dumping. Very big problem after going out for pizza, then driving home. I have not acid refelcts, I take nothing in the way of drugs... I guess this is it. Bette than the acid reflex, but your left in many unconfortable situations... Good luck...

Try avoiding all products with dairy/milk and see if your problems go away.

I had my surgery on 1/24/08. I am very glad I did but I too am having the same problems you are having. Gas, bloating, diareha. It does not matter what I eat, it happens.

I had the Nissen surgery in 2001. Within 3 months i was to try solid foods again. I had the procedure done open not laproscopic. I was able to eat jello and broth only for the first 3 months. I started having problems about 6 months after the surgery. Mashed potatoes even gave me problems, i would gauge and than throw everything up. I never had blood pressure issues before the surgery and now i have to take medication to control it. I lost about 30 pounds after the surgery, and eventually gained it back. I have had reflux worse within the past 2 years than before the surgery. They said i have GERD again. I was told i could possibly have IBS or Barretts but nothing definite. I have had so many tests , scopes, impedence studies and nothing concrete. I usually dont go out because i cant eat anything unless im close to home. They said i have a lactose problem now also. Diarhea is common now no matter what i eat, it gets so bad that sometimes its worse than when you drink the prep for a colonoscopy. Watery, jellish, and sometimes black, green or yellow. To this day i still get what i call "gauge reflux" its like a dry heave with yellowish or whitish foam and liquid coming up.
Does anyone know if pain medications can cause the outset of reflux or GERD? I had surgery while in the military for a hand/wrist injury and took very potent pain killers because of the extent of the injury. I still take pain medication but use every precaution i can.

Does anyone have any ideas to help with this problem.? I take Protonix twice a day and Zantac at night, but nothing is helping.

I had a full Nissen Fundoplication done in 12/12. A month post surgery I started eating normally and the diarrhea started and hasn't stopped. Everytime I eat anything, I get water shooting out of me 1/2 hour to 1 hour after eating and I'm vegan. I have tried four different gas products, two activated charcoal products, antibiotics, Immodium and now I'm going to try Lomotil. Nothing works. I now take Immodium every time I eat anything but it doesn't work most of the time. Surgeon refuses to admit its a by-product of surgery and my other docs just refer me back to the surgeon, so I guess I'm on my own. I can't go anywhere after I eat anything and if I have a 4pm appt. I cannot eat all day until I get home or risk missing the appt. So I have a huge food aversion, eat mostly at night and am up all night in the restroom. I would love some help on this. I read it is a side effect of a surgery that is wrapped too tightly.

I know exactly what you mean. I also had surgery 12/12, and am a vegetarian. I take Immodium and Gas X every day, and at the most I get a minor relief. I've been painfully bloated since starting a soft food diet, I can only burp up foam, and I have diarrhea all the time. Last night I took Immodium and Gas X right after eating, but before the diarrhea, and it didn't help anything. It's so frustrating. I am getting to the point where I don't go out much, even asking to work from home. If you could, please keep me posted as to whether the Lomotil works.

The Lomotil helps a lot but doesn't get rid of the horrible gas or gas pains. I did my own research and this is a side effect in 11% of reflux surgeries, 3% of those are permenant if last more than 3 months post-surgery. It is caused by either the wrap being too tight or the Vagus Nerve being damaged during surgery. It can be surgically corrected in 3 of 4 cases. I wrote an email to my surgeon asking him to take this more seriously and gave him the links. His office called back and was rude, so I have an appt. with another gastro to discuss this in two weeks. I just can't stand living like this, if I have a 4pm appt anywhere, I can't eat all day or miss it. Then I eat when I get home and am up all night long with diarrhea. The Lomotil really does help with the diarrhea and helps more when taken with 2 activiated charcoal (which didn't work at all on its own). Its worth a try! Not a fix, just a band-aid though.

I also had the Nissen surgery (10/12) after having constant eating problems for over two years.  It took a Pulmonologist to discover the problem after the Gastro doctors told me to lose weight.  I did have relief from the constant pressure in my chest and heartburn after surgery but had diarrhea in recovery.  It did not go away.  My surgeon also told me it had nothing to do with my surgery.  I have now seen three Gastro doctors and have taken a variety of medication, nothing works.   I have become house bound.   f I go out I am hungry and know that I can not eat till I return home.  I left my employment due to the embarrassment of constantly being in the bathroom.  If I do go out to eat it has to be a place close to home.  I am miserable.  I wish I had known about this side effect.  If anyone has found the magic solution please let me know.  Thanks

LOMOTIL. Take two tablets four times a day even if you don't eat. I have the same thing, it is called Intestinal Dumping Syndrome and the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins websites have very good articles on it. There are only two causes of it after reflux surgery - Vagus Nerve Injury during the surgery or the wrap is done too tightly or incorrectly. The blood test is simple for the Vagus Nerve Injury, they administer insulin every ten minutes and test your blood. If it isn't the Vagus Nerve, it can be FIXED. I have been suffering from this for six months and only eat once a day, at night. If I have a doctor's appt or have to go anywhere, I cannot eat until I get home OR the night before for fear I'll be up all night dumping and sleep thru the alarm. I feel for you and would be interested to hear who did your surgery - I had mine done by Dr. Lipham in Newport Beach at Hoag Hospital and he was awful, refusese to order the tests or even admit the surgery caused it. Its a nightmare but it CAN be fixed, keep up the hope and get your doctors to order the Vagus Nerve Injury blood test first and go from there.

I had a year ago been sick ever since tried,if I eat it's first starts like I feel like flu,cold sweets,gas pains that double me over and the smell...this last 30 to 40 mins...as gas passes I then began to go to bathroom so weak I feel faint I go off and on a good 30 mins....then ok...just shaky and weak...I can't go anywhere and was turn down after 30 years of working by disability....but I don't have acid reflux...I don't know what to do..no doctor try's they just say it's dump D....any ideas...I can eat something one day and ok next day sick as dog

This is called "dumping syndrome" and can be researched at the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins websites. I had it and it is horrible. I lost 60 lbs and half my hair fell out because you can't digest anything. The only thing that helped me was not eating foods that dump every time and laying down in bed flat or with legs elevated right after eating for a couple hours. It SUCKS and no one around me in So. Cal. treats it or even knows what it is. There are only two causes: 1) injury of the Vagus Nerve during surgery and 2) the wrap being done too tightly or incorrectly. Either are surgically fixable if you can find someone to fix it. I feel for you and have been going thru this myself - my surgeon lied about injuring me and I didn't find out for a year that he did. I'm still trying to figure out who or what he injured. Get to a new gastro and insist on a ct scan with contrast of your abdomen - don't waste time with other tests unless they want to run a blood test called a nuclear polypeptide test that measure insulin with food given to you every 10 min and new blood drawn every 10 min. No diet worked for me, everything dumped. It can get better in some people but if you still have it 3 months post-surgery, see a 2nd opinion gastro THAT YOU CHOOSE. You can contact me privately if you wish

Susan

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I honestly feel that none of the doctors truly know what the comolications after this surgery are caused from AND dont want to admit they might have done something wrong during surgery!!! Ive had 2 surgeries within 3 years as first wrap using my stomach failed! Second one was done by different doctor who "thought" he wrapped pig skin losely, but after 6 days, I had foam coming up my tgroat into my mouth on its own! Went back under next morning to have wrap losened. It worked! But, its been 5 months post surgery and am still losing weight!!! I wasnt real heavy to start and now look 80 and am only 55! Skin wrinking everywhere and over 30 lbs lost to date. Cant gain weight no matter what I eat!!!
I honestly feel the doctors, who dont want to admit they might have screwed up nor want to help us all need to be sued!!! This entire surgery, I feel, is a waste of time, causes many more complications than what surgery was for, and has not been fine tuned enough or may even be not suitable to rectify our GERDS and hiatal hernias!!! I feel they're playing God without REALLY knowing what they're doing amd how to deal w post surgery complications!!! I WILL NEVER EVER HAVE ANOTHER ONETHESE SURGERIES AGAIN! I WOULD NOT SUGGEST ANYONE TO HAVE THIS, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU YOU MEED IT! Change your diet, exercise, and forget going under the laser or knife!!! Not worth the devaluation of quality of life and complications!!!!

Have you been checked for dumping syndrome. You can get this if the vagus nerve was damaged during the op

I have to same thing I've had a hernia repair I don't know if he actually fix the hernia he said he did a wrap I have really bad pains when I go to the bathroom on my left side of my back I have really bad abdominal pain sometime when I eat food and I have to sit on the toilet I'm sweating in pain and I feel bad that I have to take a Hydromorphone pill I thought that I was the only one that was feeling like this I feel so hopeless it's very scary as well and I'm still on 40 grams of nixxiom the surgeon who did my surgery said he's going to do a scope to look into my stomach to see what the problem is I really think some doctors in Winnipeg or pathetic