I am going insane! I writhed in pain for a month and a half until FINALLY someone realised I needed to have my gall bladder taken out.
Now I am suffering from this horrible bloating. I look like I am nine months pregnant. In fact many people have touched my stomach and asked me what I'm having; and I have to say "Get your hands off of me I'm not pregnant."

Today is November 16. My surgeon looks at me like my head is about to spin off into flames when I tell him about this, and I've missed a lot of work because even the larger clothing I've gotten don't fot when I'm bloated. Please don't tell me to try Gas-X, or those horrible powders. or colon cleansers. I've already been there, done that, and got the T shirt.

PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE, I'M SO SICK OF LOOKING LIKE A COW. I'VE HAD TO GO ON AN ANTI DEPRESSANT EVEN. THIS IS RUINING MY LIFE.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but discomfort after a gallbladder operation is quite common. You're not the first or the last to go through it. If you're looking for ways to be more comfortable, try some of these bloated stomach cure options after gallbladder removal:

- Eat low fat foods

- Eat smaller portions

- If everything makes you feel bad, switch to broths and soups for a while

- Reintroduce more foods again at a gradual pace

If you're not sure how to go about this, look for information about post gallbladder removal diet or ask your doctor for a diet plan. 

Im having the same problems. I'm 29 years of age and about 8 months ago had my gallbladder removed due to some hormone my body produced while I was pregnant. This so called hormone produced gallstones in my gallbladder causing the bile duct blockage. Since my surgery, my stomach is so swelled. I dont know why. Its a very uncomfortable feeling.

I have been looking like I am 6-7 m prego since December. At first I didn't have any real pain except discomfort from the bloating. Then I had right side pain and the CT showed edema on my rt kidney. Two weeks later I got pancreatitis and was in severe pain. I am 35 and have a two and a three year old. After I recovered from pancreatitis my belly would go down during the night and I would look almost normal by morning. Then out of no where it would come back. After many test I have erosive gastritis which they think is causing IBS. I got my gall bladder removed 3 days ago and an umbilical hernia repaired. The docs still don't know what caused the edema-maybe a kidney stone;pancreatitis-maybe a gall stone. They didn't find either on any of the test. I would get them to start doing some test on you just to be safe. Some people are allergic to gluten(celiac disease) or have another autoimmune issue. All those test were normal for me. Keep making the docs do something!

Have you ever been tested for Celiac disease? Bloating is a classic symptom, though there are many but gall bladder dysfunction can be a result of celiac disease as well. CD is very under diagnosed and has many, many different symptoms. I see your post is from 2007....

Hi I am having this same problem.I am always bloated after my gb removed. I am so sick all the time espacally in the morning if I dont eat something carb before bed I will always throw up the bile in my stomach.
the docters keep telling me im depressed and want to put me on meds right away but I will not do it because I know thats not what I need.
I have sever acid reflex and problems digesting food.
it really sucks.

My mother is also having the same problems. She had gall stones removed last October. My sister passed away a few months later and my mom lost a lot of weight. My mom always had a pretty big stomach but I noticed that as she lost the weight her stomach just seemed to stay the same or get bigger even. She began to notice that she was bloated and went to the dr. The doctor said that it happens often with gall blader and it is just gas. My mom said thath she does experience alot of gas now..like when she goes to the restroom. I'd like to think maybe the dr is right but I just dont trust them. My syster was misdiagnosed and thats what led to her death..now I think I am just extra paranoid wiht myparents and their old age. I did ask my mom to call the dr and ask them to review the bloodwork to make sure CD is counted out. If anyone thinks of anything else or find that it is just common with gall bladder surgery...please reply. I don't know what to do for her.

I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago, at first all my problems seemed to disappear. Now i have noticed that my stomache is swelling up like i am pregnant and i am suffering from pain in my right side under my ribs. I have been advised that i might have stones in my bile duct and may require an ERPC, [tube down throat to take stones from bile duct]. I have told my doctor about the bloating, and he also says this is quite common with gall bladder problems.

This is a reply to anyone this can help. If you want to talk to me further you can email me at rjjc1000*****SPAM*****. I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE PAIN THE PERSON WHO SAID PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS RUINING MY LIFE. I ONLY WANT TO BE POSITIVE, BUT I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE I WAS YOU A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED. MY LIFE WAS RUINED . MY BACK HURT AND EVEN THOUGH I DESPERATELY TRIED TO DIET AND EXERCISE A LITTLE NOTHING SEEMED TO WORK. I WALKED INTO A CLOTHING STORE WITH MY FAMILY GET THIS A YEAR AFTER MY SURGERY AND THE CLERK ASKED ME IF I WAS PREGNANT WITH TWINS. MY HEART SANK, NO I'M NOT PREGNANT WITH TWINS. THE DOCTOR SAID THERE IS NOTHING HE COULD DO. THIS I'M SORRY TO SAY IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH. THINKING MY LIFE WAS OVER, I STUMBLED UPON A SOLUTION. FOR SOME IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIVES IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, BUT REMEMBER FOR SOME LIKE ME (MUST BE AN EXTREME CASE) MY NIGHTMARE IS A CONTINUOUS BATTLE.) MY SOLUTION WAS TUMMY TUCK SURGERY. I HAVE HAD LOTS OF FRIENDS WHO HAVE HAD IT NO COMPLICATIONS. FOR A YEAR AND 1/2 AFTER THE SURGERY MY LIFE CHANGED. I FELT LIKE A NEW WOMAN AND I FELT LIKE A HIDE THE NEWEST LEAF ON LIFE. BUT NOW AFTER OVER A YEAR OF TESTING IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE EXPERIENCED EXTREME COMPLICATIONS THAT ARE LEANING TOWARDS THIS SURGERY. MOST PEOPLE ONLY EXPERIENCE SOME OF THE MINOR RISKS AND THIS WOULD BE A GOOD SOLUTION. HOWEVER, I GOT DEALT ANOTHER ROTTON HAND, AND I'M IN WORSE SHAPE THEN BEFORE. NOW, I'M ASKING TO BE FIXED, BUT THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE. YOU CAN CHECK INTO THIS, BUT BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU GO TO THE BEST AND GET ALL THE FACTS.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU AND SENDING HEARTFELT LOVE YOUR WAY! I MOST DEFINITELY SYMPATHISE TO THE FULLEST WITH ALL OF YOU. IF I CAN BE OF CONFORT OR HELP TO ANYONE, PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Hi, you have all been lied to. Without a gallbladder in place you cannot process food properly. Continual flowing bile into the small intestine causes huge health problems. You will spend years looking for answers and never be told the truth. In order to obtain surgery consent - they withhold the truth form you “you will never be able to live a healthy life again". To maintain the lie, heath professionals cannot offer you help as they would then have to acknowledge to horrible truth about the side affects. This is admitting liability. For some gallbladder surgery is a multimillion dollar income stream. I watched my waist grow an inch an month. My body was simply blocking up. What I did was to cycle up to 100 mils per day for a month to flush out my body. I literally watched all the symptoms disappear weekly. Fist the indigestion, then the stomach pains, then the acid reflux and the waist line decrease by 4-6 inches. I have to avoid desk jobs. Sitting for long periods accelerates the bloating /blocking and keep up the huge cardio out put to allow the body to flush each day. I have not found any other solution that works... I have my GB out 2006. My life has been racked, I have lost all. Look at ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed for some answers / post your testimony. Please be aware, Celiac disease can be caused from bile damaging the small intestine.

Hii have the same problem all the time, I look pregnent all the time, lost all my appitite dont know what to do. Its been 3 years since having my GB out and its just getting worse the pain is. I was never given a diet sheet to follow, the acid heart burn makes me sick and i feel like im been choked. Has anybody got any idea's to help me out. please reply to em if you have.

Hi everyone,

I know this is an older thread but I figured I would post for anyone web searching out there, like I was. I had my gallbladder removed via single insicion lappy through my belly button about a month ago.  after my surgery I noticed right off the bat that I was on the constipated side. The only thing my surgeon told me was to stay away from spicy and fatty foods for a week and then I could go ahead and eat whatever I wanted. after the week was up I went for it and ate a super fatty dinner. I handled it fine, which was great. However after that night whenever I would eat, I would noticed that I would start to bloat up about thirty minutes after a meal. Not as  exreme as some of you...but enough that it wa visibly noticeable and enough that I would have to unbutton my pants to be comfortable. After dinner was usually the worst and I would bloat and wake up during the night from the gas pains which were extremely uncomfortable. I have eaten steaks twice since my suregery and both times I had EXTREME gas pains that were almost worst than my gallbladder attacks!

After some extensive web searching, like i'm sure most of you have been doing, I came across a few sites that suggested taking digestive enzymes. They explained that since we no longer have our gallbladders it is harder for us to break down and digest fats and proteins and just about everything. When you eat a fatty meal or really any meal the gallbladder had been holding bile and after your meal it would release one big spurt of bile to help you digest. Now that we don't have it it kind of just trickles in and doesn't do as good of a job digesting and the under digestive food causes gas and bloating. (from what I have read) I went to GNC after reading some reviews and bought their " Super digestive enzymes." It was the best 14 dollars I have ever spent. I have been taking it for a week now and after the second night I have no bloating and no gas. I actually feel normal again and I can keep my pants buttoned all day! I take one after breakfast, one after lunch and two after dinner. Last night I put it to the test and my husband made fried pork chops, cesar salad and baked potatoes with a ton of cheese and sour cream. I slept like a baby, no waking up from bloating and gas pains. I cannot stress how much this has helped me. I work out all the time and bloating like that really bothered me, especially when I work so hard to stay in shape. I have also increased my water intake which I have read thins out your bile and makes it more effective.

Hope this helps someone out there.

i'm going to be copying and pasting this in a few diffrent forums so if you see it twice, I apologize : )

Lisa,

You seem to have the best solution.  I had my gallbladder out, and 1 year later, after another 20 min. procedure for something else, I woke up swollen.  Since then I have gone from size 2 to size 10.  My belly looks at least 6 months pregnant.  I take Citracel and eat shreaded wheat, which help move my bowels.  But, I want to be my size again.  I am so uncomfortable. I feel like another person is sitting on top of me. I thank God, I don't have pain, but, I do have Barretts esophogus because of the bile it is causing.  I pray your solution works.  Please update on how you are doing.  Thank you.

It has been almost 3 years since my gallbladder was removed and having some same symptoms as others........mainly the BLOATING:(....I can't lose weight no matter what I eat or how much I exercise...I eat healthy, organic and exercise ....on rare occasions I feel normal....no bloat...but can't put my finger on why yet...I am going to try the enzymes religiously this time...have tired in the past...did not seem to help...

I'm 33 years old and it has been 3 years since I had my GallBladder removed!! I have a 5 year old and 3 year old, my pain started 2 weeks after having my 3 year old. New baby and a 18 month old with and a Mommy who lost sleep during the night because i would wake-up from severe pain.  I seeked help from my primary doctor and obgyn and both were not all interested in helping me or giving me a clue as to what was my issue!! I was so very desperate at the time because I didnt know what was wrong me but the surgery was the probably the worst thing that could of happened to my body!! When I went to the ER after experiencing severe pain for about 8 months and was finally told that my pain was from having GallStones, which my primary doctor couldnt or wouldnt diagnose, she was treating me for acid reflux, heartburn and irritable bowel.  In the ER I was told were gonna schedule you for surgery and remove your gallbladder, you dont need it anyways and after you'll be pain free!! I didnt even question it, after not sleeping for about 4 days because of the pain and not eating right, I was very delirious and the doctor diagnosed me just after hearing my symptoms and with his diagnosis cofirmed with the ultrasound, I was like I'll be fine, he said I dont need the Gallbladder anyways!! Well....I wish I was more informed and given all the side effects and long term health risks!! I too was not given a list or diet to follow after my surgery, it was just the normal instructions diet after post-op but nothing regarding gallbladder removal!! Now I suffer from severe diarrhea, bloatting and constipation, oh and pain in my right side just under my ribs and I wakeup filling cramps in my stomach, that make me feel that something is severly wrong with me because I just dont feel normal anymore!! Today I was asked if I'm pregnant again because my stomach looked so big, "I mean so rounded from top to bottom"....I was like thankyou for that very detailed description of my stomach!! but NO, Im not!!! My stomach looks like I'm about 4-5 months preggers!! I find myself buying baby doll blouses and dresses because i need to hide my stomach!! I will try some your suggestions and see if helps!! Thankyou for all the info!! God Bless You All