Hello!
My gallbladder was removed week ago. I still have little diarrhea and belching. I was told to eat in small amounts and especially not fats. I am doing that, but still have diarrhea. Am I going anything wrong? Is it normal to have diarrhea after gallbladder surgery? What am I supposed to eat?

Hey,
I also had it operated, but 5 weeks ago. I am all right now. I also had some diarrhea first week after surgery, so I guess it is normal.
You are doing the right thing, eating in small amounts. Avoid fats and greasy food and spicy things. Eat crackers, oatmeal, dry cereal, salads, fruits (bananas suit me), pasta. In every case, avoid hamburgers, pork, fried chicken, cheeses and cheese sauces, pepperonis and other spices…

It's very common to have diarrhea after gallbladder removal surgery, yes. It can go away, but some people also have it long-term. As for what you should eat on a gallbladder removal diet, here are some tips:

- Eat at least one serving of fruit or veggies at each meal, such as avocado, berries, grapes, apples, cucumber, and the like. The high fiber content will help relieve the diarrhea quite a lot. 

- Things like yogurt, cottage cheese, whole grains, lean meat, and fish are also excellent for you. 

- Stay away from red meat, coffee, processed, sugary, fatty foods, milk, and palm kernel oil. 

I had my gallbladdar removed March 12, 2006. Prevously I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome since I was 9 years old. I am now 21. Since the removal of my gallbladdar, I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. I've lost jobs due to being in the bathroom. I'l lbe ok for 2-5 days, then get sick with diarehea and nausea and be tired. Doctors are crazy "oh its the flu" - my IBS has been under control, and I've only had these reaccuring problems since my gallbladdar has been out. I take 2-4 Immodium a day - nothing works! I'm scheduling my seocnd scope / colonoscopy!! SOMETHING HAS GOTTA BE DONE - anyone have any suggestions?

1. Change doctors. Any physician who does not recognize and is not willing to treat human suffering with more than a wave of the hand is not worth spending money on nor risking your health with.

2. Print out the article at *************
and /or search Google for "Post-cholecystectomy syndrome." (Note: I'm not affiliated with this dr., don't even know who she is, but found this article online and took it to my dr. after no one could figure out what seemed to be the very logical and obvious connection post gallbladder removal).

3. Get a prescription for Questran - it can work miracles. One pack a day made a difference; two packs a day gave me my life back.

Good luck.

edited by moderator***web addresses not allowed

I'm gonna give you VERY hard to get solution/advice....... use clonazepam 2mg. @ night afterwork and before bed time 8)

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I had my gallbladder removed over 3 years ago and I still have direhea I told my doctor about it and she says that it is a common side effect after gallbladder removal. I am also very tired but never related it to my gallbladder before until reading these posts. I take imodium and it finally kicks in after about 8 or so of them. Recently I have had back problems and was on pain medication for that and was told that it could make me constipated, I thought great I havent been constipated in over 3 years...lol This pain medication I was taken actually made my bowel movenments normal. So when I dont take the medication for pain in my back I get a pain in my *** instead...lol I guess its not funny to laugh at cause its awlful feeling and dont understand why the doctors dont warn you about these side effects before the surgery.

I had my gallbladder removed 15 years ago. Since then i always suffered from severe diarrhea especially after eating. I also took questran but after reading its side effects i opted not to take it. Now about 3 months ago i started to control my eating to reduce my weight. Amazingly the diarrhea is gone. I can't understand how and why but the truth is that i am eating no fats and this could be it. although we are told not to consume fats after surgery we do consume a lot of hidden fats which i think contributes to the diarrhea. Before i used to think that eating vegetables was making my problem worse but now i know that it was not the vegetables. Try reducing your food and see if the problem resolves. Wish you all luck

I had mine out in July 2002, and I'm finally going for my first colonoscopy Tuesday. I've been so sick with diarrhea for the last four years, thank God I don"t "have" to work. I'd never be able to hold a job down. It's hard enough dealing with the everyday schedules of my three kids. I bet my youngest who's 5 has taken as much care of me as I have her in her lifetime. Thank God she was born with that nurchering instinct. She says she's going to be good in parenting when she grows up. My sister had her gall bladder out and it hasn't bothered her since. Goodluck...Poki

i had my gall blatter out a week ago i got sick and went back to the hospital they keep telling me not to eat liquid only. Im starving to death what could be worse. so can some one tell me what i can eat and when

I just had my gallbladder removed three weeks ago. Some diarrhea noted after eating any meat product. After eating any meat product, the Bathroom starts calling my name. This is embrassing to say :$ , but it is the worse foul smell I have ever smelled. I'm just hoping that some weight loss will accompany this!!!! :-D

I had my gallbladder out a week ago. Due to elevated lipase enzyne, and it was sick and chronic inflammation. I have had green liquid diarrehea and nausea after i eat. My dr. said i can eat whatever, and everyone promised me it was such an easy surgery. So far after having 3 kids its the worst. Also when does the diarreaha stop, and will my lipase go back down.

I had my gall bladder out 4 weeks ago and I can report I have never felt better. I am sorry to hear so many bad stories and the pain people are suffering. I am back at work and have never felt better. I have lost over a stone in wieght and couldnt be more happy.

I do hope everyone that reads this is not put off as I have seen the results of a perforated gall bladder as I work in the operating theatre and it is not pleasant.

Regards

I tried out with different food variety after my surgery 3 weeks. I do have some diarrhea (seemed "oily" in nature) when i take food like spaghetti. Best food that gave me good solid output were steamed food (e.g. steam fish, steam meat with egg) and clear soup with carrots/potato etc etc and fruits (lots of fruits)....

Went in for bad gallbladder in early Dec 2006 and ended up staying in hospital for 3 weeks due to complications. I had the "most enormous gallbladder" my surgeon had ever seen - lucky me. Anyway, just wanted to give some background. It was a laproscopic cholestectomy.

When released, I really was not prepared for dealing with the lack of appetite or bowel problems.

Mostly liquid BM and a lot of that is bile. I confirmed with the gastroent doc that bile turns orange-ish in the digestive process. And boy does it burn on the way out.

I did read a suggetion somewhere online that giving your diet "some" fat can give the bile "something to do" other than burn on the way out. It did seem to help me when I had tried something with some sour cream in it, but I would say be very cautious on amounts eaten or it appears to give one even more diarreah.

Diet-wise, my mainstay is Ensure (with extra protein) as I am having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet. Yogurt is another option that I actually enjoy eating. I really dislike anything with bread (such as anything breaded, crackers), for some reason.

Not sure any of this will help anyone, but it is nice to know I'm not alone out there with this miserableness. I still have a couple of weeks before I have to go back to work, but I'm most worried about that long run to the bathroom and with only a couple of stalls - could be a real problem.