I had surgery a little over three weeks ago and am still nauseated almost every day---I have had three days without nausea---anyway---have any of you tried carafate?---I just got mine filled because after tests fail to show any problems, he thinks I may have bile reflux----right now I am taking prilosec and gaviscon which helps a little but was wondering if anyone has had experience with carafate?

I started taking carafate about a year before I had my gallbladder taken out (my gallbladder was removed 2 weeks ago) and it really helped the bile reflux before the surgery. I was hoping after the surgery I was no longer going to need the medication, but after about a week i needed to go back on it because the reflux started again. When first started the carafate I was taking it 3 times a day which was a challenge since you can't eat 2 hours before or 1 hour after taking it so it requires a lot of planning, but luckily now I only need it once a day and my symptoms are under control.

I was taking carafate until about one week ago and am thinking i need to get back on it...I still have alot of nausea and pain under my left ribs and shoulder blade much of the time. How did you know you had bile reflux? how was it diagnosed? Do you suffer nausea too?

I was diagnosed with bile reflux after an endoscopy. I was always told I had acid reflux but I couldn't find any medication that work and changing my diet didn't help. After the endoscopy I was put on carafate the next day and it really helped. There are times I have forgotten to take it or have weaned off of it and after a few days I notice a difference. Luckily I only need it once a day. What I notice when I am off it is I will be hungry, but have no desire to eat because once I eat I would feel sick.

Also, I had my post-op appt this past week and I told my doctor that I have having horrible shoulder pain and he said that it was referee pain. The liver was filled with pressure because the bile didn't have a place to go and the liver and shoulder are near each other in the central nervous system so even though it is your liver actually having the problem it may make your shoulder hurt. He told me to chew gum to trick the liver into releasing the bile and try either Zantac or gas x to help. After a few days my shoulder pain has gone down, it is still sore, but nothing like it was. He said it may take a month for my body to readjust to not having the gallbladder.

I forgot to put that when I had the endoscopy there was a significant amount of bile in my stomach

I hope you completely recover---it has been a little over three months since my surgery and I still get nausea many days....I no longer have the bile diarrhea but i am thinking I might never be able to get off the Carafate---if you read the forims, many people have bile reflux before and after surgery. Did you have alot of nausea before your surgery?

I forgot to tell you this---They pump lots af air into your abdominal cavity during sthe surgery so your shoulder pain could be due to that and will disappear as soon as you expel that air---i had horrible shoulder pain for a week or two...try walking a lot and lying on the side where it hurts and elevating your hips---it helps--