I am a 24 year old male who has been suffering from lightheadedness/weakness for over 4 years now. I am very active, athletic, not overweight, and maintain a healthy diet. In the past I have had a number of cycling injuries, including a dislocated clavicle (worst accident), but nothing too major. Since then, I have had numerous chest x-rays, a Brain MRI, EKG's , and Stress EchoCardiogram, blood work for thyroid, std's, and nutrition, and EVERYTHING has come back normal. I have also tried anxiety medication and normal aspirin/excedrin for headaches, but nothing has worked. I do get headaches, but they are always little ones and often not very painful at all. I keep going from doctor to doctor, hospital to hospital, and my bills are running through the roof. I have done so much research on the web, but still cannot find a solution. I try to diagnose myself since the doc's can't seem to figure it out, but I have still not come up with anything. I am so frustrated and tired of my condition.

In the past week I have decided to get some blood work done to see if I am hypoglycemic or diabetic, but have not had a chance to go in yet. The strange thing is that recently I have linked my lightheadedness to eating, especially after eating large meals or meals with complex carbohydrates such as pasta, etc. I also tend to feel very bloated and tired after eating and often belch excessively.

If anyone here has any advice or opinions to share with me, please do so. I am so tired of dealing with this condition, as it is quite debilitating and I just want to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Tone

Hello, Tone. I have also recently experienced lightheadedness after eating, normally coupled with nausea and hot flashes. I am a healthy, athletic 29 year-old female, and have never had any medical problems. I am online researching probable causes. It has happened thrice in the past three days, each occurrence following a meal heavy in carbs.

I will bookmark this page, and in the event I find anything useful to us, I will post it here. It has been suggested that I am combining the wrong foods (pasta and meat, rice and meat), and that my body is having a hard time digesting two different kinds of protein at once. I'm going to eat only fruit tomorrow to cleanse, then I'll begin an experimental diet of separated proteins (meat and veggies, or starch and veggies). We'll see...

If you have a constant lightheadedness while you are eating or after you ate something, this can happen because food can impact your blood pressure. In this case, eating can cause a low blood pressure, that can lead to dizziness and lightheadedness. It is a classic drop of the energy, a classic drop in the blood pressure, that usually announces itself in this way. Also, you need to know that postprandial hypotension causes some people to fall, some people faint, some feel pressure in their chest, etc. Symptoms are different. I had this situation with some foods, not with every grocery that I eat, but anyway, it is not pleasant. 

Hello,I used to have the same problem before and my doc didn't know what to do with me.Same thing happen to me brain MRI exrays everything negative.I had this pressure specially on the side of my head every time after I ate.I started to take multi enzyme evry time before meal and enteric coted garlic and acidophilus capsule and after a month the simptoms went away.Now I can eat I dont have headache even I stopped the pills.

I have a problem with tiredness after eating heavy meals, it is such a struggle to keep my eyes open! I also get light headiness after eating, but not as often, I also have an issue with excess gas after eating vegetable, very bad smelling gas, if anyone can help me out with this I would be eternally grateful! I'm a sport female 30 year old. My sister has recently been diagnosed with Crones disease which runs in families so will get myself checked out for that.

Doug Kaufmann is a quack who promotes snake oil products.

I wouldn't be too quick to believe everything that he or his guests say. He/they are there to sell books and supplements etc and if they aren't quacks pushing snake oil they are certainly dangerously close to crossing the line.

Have you researched food sensitivities (yours)? Tried an elimination diet? Your system could be having a hard time with wheat or corn or some big common food.
Have you tried Chinese medicine - especially herbs? It can help with this whole set of symptoms, looking at it from a different standpoint- -results can be amazing, especially when Western treatment/diagnosis doesn't have a category to put you in. Chinese herbs can help your body restore optimal function to better digestion, energy level, and lightheadedness.

I have had the same experience as many here. I had a terrible time with medical doctors because of it. I was given prescriptions for antidepressants, antianxiety drugs and referred to pyschotherapy...all of which I turned down. I KNEW that these symptoms had to do with the foods that I ate. All of these revelations came over the course of many years...food journaling, trial and error, etc. Finally, I did the elimination diet and found that I was all kinds of messed up...lol.I researched this all myself, mind you, the only kind of doctor that knows about any of this stuff are naturopathic and health conscious chiropractors. I have Celiac disease, that was number one that needed to be dealt with. I was not absorbing any nutrients and therefore had multiple vitamin defiencies and symptoms...including partial seizures! After about 6 mos of abstaining from all sources of wheat and gluten our small intestines are able to heal themselves. Big problem taken care of. I ate an EXTREMELY limited diet. When I introduced dairy back in, my body was not liking that. So I was down to meat/fish, eggs(although those sensitive to sulphites should take supplemental molybednm; onions and garlic are also high in sulphur; I can even drink wine now with no problems!), veggies and brown rice products-bread, pasta, etc. I was still having the dizziness, palipitations, sweats after eating. I am now on a low glycemic diet which I would recommend for all of you here. It is not low carb, you are not in ketosis, just choosing your carbs wisely. The gal that was advised to separate your carbs from meats, I believe that that is the worst thing that you could do for your problem. The thing that all of us here need to do is slow down the entering of carbs(sugar) into our blood stream...eating unrefined carbs, brown rice, whole wheat (if you are able), plenty of veggies...ALWAYS with some form of protein. If you are not a meat person, I would recommend brown rice protein, that way, you are avoiding any possible allergens(stomach bloating/etc) assossiated with whey/milk protein. Also, soy, causes a world of problems as well, because it is a phytoestrogen...it raises our estrogen levels. Yes, ladies I'm sure that you would simply love to experience the achy, bloated, irritable feeling of PMS all the time!
Really, if we want to be healthy and feel well, we cannot afford to be lazy. It stinks, I know. I cook everything. All organic, I read all labels. I can't eat fast food...period. There are so many additives, it is difficult to put our fingers on what is making us feel ill.
Well, I went a bit off subject there, but it is really only a total lifestyle change that will mend these problems.
To recap for the lightheadedness/sweats after eating. Eat smaller meals, more frequently, enzymes at every meal. Limit carbs to good carbs, veggies and if you can tolerate it, a SMALL amount of whole grains.(most of us tend to eat more than 1/2 cup pasta or rice) I personally, cannot tolerate starches at all OR fruit. I get all my carbs from veggies. And ALWAYS have protein with your carbs. The one gal that got relief from taken garlic pills, that is because they lower your blood sugar. Chromium picolinate does the same thing. When I eat a high protein meal, I take betaine because I do not seem to have enough stomach acid. Apple cider vinegar also helps with digestion.
As far as MY stomach bloating probs, I had many culprits:wheat/gluten, dairy, starchy carbs. Headaches I found to be triggered by dairy, sulphites(peanut butter is high in these as well), soy(estrogen), MSG, nitrites in lunch meat/hotdogs, etc), food colorings, and the aluminum found in anti perspirants.
Well, it sucks that I had to learn about all these issues. Ha, it is so much more fun to grab a soda, burger and fries! Yet, since I had to learn about all these things the hard way, I would love to be of any assistance to anyone else that needs help. I was all on my own on my journey to health, it is so much nicer when we have someone else to help us along. I could have a degree in holisitic medicine...lol. I sure wish that all of these additives that make us ill, would be banned, but that will not happen as long as these companies are making money and their sanitation standards are able to be lowed by adding preservatives. In the old days, there was only salt to preserve.
So I would advise all to get to know your body and then work to make it well. I know MY quality of life was GREATLY decreased when I was getting dizzy and feeling like I was going to pass out all the time OR to have the bloating and gas that others described. I wish the best to all here. Being healthy is such a gift, I never take it for granted!

Hello again,

It looks like people have seen this topic and provided some good suggestions and I'm so grateful for that. I have an update, as I recently went in to have a glucose tolerance test and have received the results which the first doc. said were normal. My blood fasting sugar was 94 before the test when my blood was first drawn and then 1 hour after drinking the glucose solution, my blood glucose level rose to 110. After the 2nd hour the blood glucose started to drop and went down to 105. The doc. I spoke to said that everything looked normal and there was no real sign of diabetes or hypoglycemia, but I am seeing my specialist who ordered the test to give me a second and final opinion. As for my symptoms, they have not gone away. I have however tried to change my diet and cut back on caffeinated sodas and other junk foods, substituting juices and natural sodas.
Tonight however, I had my usual onset of symptoms after eating out an Italian restaurant and having a large bowl of rigatoni with red meat sauce and half of a spinach salad. I also had an iced tea with a shot of raspberry. I have been feeling like c**p ever since and that was around 10:00 PM. It is now 2:00 AM here. I have also been belching like crazy as usual and feel very bloated associated with chest pains.
I am wondering if this could be acid reflux disease since my glucose tolerance test has come back normal. Any opinions?
I am so frustrated with all of this and it has gone on so long that often I feel like I have a terminal disease and at any moment I may pass out and die. I don't know if anybody else here on this board with my same symptoms has felt the same, but it really sucks. My health and life in general has gone down hill so much! I just want to make that trek back up the hill to better health and having docs. that don't know what is wrong just really makes it that much harder.
I am going to try the suggestions mentioned by DeeAnna and if anybody has any other further advice, It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again in advance.
I want to keep this thread going not just for myself but for others with the same problem as well, so please keep it on topic! Thanks.

Tone

Tone, I would definetly give the info from Doug Kaufmann's show a try. I have had severe acid reflux disease and all the symptoms you described along with the most severe cases of sinus infections. I have been to the Mayo Clinic several times since 2001. I have also had at least 6 sinus surgeries. 2 years ago, I had my upper digestive system checked via endoscopy and found that I had hiatal hernia, ulcers, colitis and other stomach irritation. I can no longer take any type of antacid because I break out in hives. I had been on antibiotics for over 10 years for the sinus issues, but I had the acid reflux before that. No one made a connection that the drugs were killing me. I now can no longer take prednisone, which I also break out in hives. For my acid reflux which included gas and belching, I went to the health food store and got a product to reduce the acid in my system.

The past 6 months I have been taking most of the information from the show hosted by Doug Kaufmann, Know the Cause, and there are some significant changes. My cholesterol is lower than 2 years ago, my sinuses are no longer creating those nasty polyps, and my acid reflux disease is no longer a problem. I take a lot of the advice given through this show and it has worked a lot of miracles so far for me. Both the doctors I visited with the past month told me to keep doing what I am doing, because it is working. Only you can decide what will work for you, you have nothing to lose if you try one of those programs.

hi Tone.

i'm a naturopath.
sounds like your gut disagrees with certain foods (sensitivity/allergy).
from your description;

it is possibly the wheat- sensitivity or deficiency of digestive enzymes,
the combination of wheat/meat proteins- body can have trouble digesting both at same time,
or tomatoes (Solanaceae family) in the sauce.
these are common sensitivities/digestive issues.

try these websites;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae
www.foodintol.com/wheat.asp

good luck and keep trying.
you will find the answer that works for you.

I had the same problem. Now, I have the solution. I promise it will work. Follow a low carb diet. Test it out for yourself. Anything that raises your sugar level and causes you to use you insulin harmone will make us sleepy or drowsy etc. Notice that if you eat something that is low in carbs like non-starchy vegetables, meats, eggs, etc. you are really energized throughout the day. I follow it so well I allow my body to go into ketosis. Ketosis is only dangerous for diebetics but if you are normal, you will have more energy than a person on speed. Hope this helps. If you need help with counting carbs, feel free to email me at angelak0201@yahoo.com

Hello everyone, Can someone help me figure out how to know what foods go together because its like my body changes everyday. I can eat 1 thing at lunch 1 day and right afterwords I will passout cold and the next day I can eat the same thing and it will give me energy. I feel full all the time but yet I feel hungry. I can't lose weight and I'm very active. I don't drink sodas or eat snack cakes and candy and all that sweet stuff and I eat small meals, sometimes I don't eat at all because I'm afraid too. The docs have checked everything possiable and nothing was found except that my Tryglycirides were a little high. Someone please help me I'm tired of being tired and feeling like c**p.

I have all of the same symptoms. I am a 27/f, but unlike the others I am overweight. I get lightheadedness / hot flashes / sweats palpitations after heavy meals. I also hate feeling like I am going to pass out after eating. It effects my work, my school and my home life. I appreciate everyone's advice and I know I need to start with changing my eating habits. I just am worried that there is something wrong that the doctor's are missing. Please keep this blog going, especially with any new information on causes, diagnosis, or cures.

Megan