Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with type 2 about 5 years ago. I've been able to manage my BG levels until about 6 months ago. Both my husband and I have lost our jobs and we are desperately seeking employment and in the mean time try to make ends meet. The stress is just killing us. My BG levels are high and I'm also having severe BG swings. I have stuck to my diet but it doesn't seem to be working now and I just don't know what to do. Can someone explain to me what has happened? Any one had a similar experience? Thanks.

Hello, Stress can really wreak havoc with BG levels. Norepinephrine and cortisol are released when you are stressed about something whether it be physical or mental. Increases in these two hormones cause the liver to release glucose. This can raise your BG levels considerably. You may need to increase your insulin to some degree to to counterbalance the increase in glucose in the blood. You say you have remained on the same diet so that's good as it was working for you before. Another thing you could do is to increase your level of exercise. Exercise is a great way to get rid of stress and lower those hormone levels bringing them back to normal. In fact, I think if you increase your exercise you will experience a calming effect during and after your workout. You don't need to do anything strenuous just increase the amount of time you exercise at least initially. I quite often forget about anything that is bothering me when I exercise. Perhaps you and your husband could walk and or bike together and while you're doing that think of positive things that uplift your mood. The point being, keep a positive mental attitude. If you have iPods you could listen to some soothing music while you are exercising.