Hi, I've got type 2 diabetes and I've been exercising but not too much. It doesn't seem that exercise is affecting my BG levels. I know I probably need to set up a more rigorous regime but I'm just not there yet. I've read on some forums that aerobic exercise will bring your blood glucose down but I've also read that for some it actually raises at least initially. I'm not really sure how that works exactly. I imagine it could go either way or even stay the same depending how much aerobic exercise you do and any food you take in before, during and/or after you exercise. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hello, I've always found that aerobic exercises tend to keep me more stable sugar wise than anaerobic exercises. Anaerobic exercise tends to increase my blood sugar levels quite a bit. I found that if you take in less carbs or no carbs (on fasting sugar levels in the early morning) when you do anaerobic exercises tends to stabilize sugar levels. Otherwise, I need to take in more insulin. I have also tried doing aerobic exercises before I do anaerobic and that seems to stabilize sugar levels as well. I think the concensus is that aerobic exercise tends to lower your blood sugar levels and I have found that to be the case for me. Now I know everyone is different so you'll have to check this out for yourself. On anaerobic exercise such as running and resistance training, my sugar levels can go as high as 210. WOW! But if I do aerobic first and then some anaerobic my levels are around 120. What a difference!

So, now I do a combination of aerobic and anaerobic so that my BG doesn't shoot up so high. I've made many measurements with aerobic and anaerobic, just aerobic and just anaerobic and so far it is pretty consistent. If I feel that my resistance training is spiking me, I just add some aerobic to it and it comes right back down. You might consider trying this and see if it works for you. If you're not interested in weight training then just go with the aerobic or cardio. That should lower you BG right away. If you can see if you can do your exercises for 1 hours per day. If this seems a bit much then try 30 minutes at first and see if you can get to 45 minutes.