My best friend started using heroin and other drugs with her new boyfriend. She says it is just for fun and that she won’t get addict but I heard that everybody does. I am scared because I don’t know if I should tell her parents or not, if this is just a phase that she will grow out of. Anyway, I am interested in substitutes fro heroin. She told me they are also using some substitutes. Can you tell me more about it? Thank you

Methadone is used for heroin addicts to help them get off heroin. Although it is a prescription only drug, it can be purchased in the streets. One can die from over dose from this drug as well and get addicted. It should be used only by doctor’s supervision but of course this is often not the case. I know some people who took heroin just a couple of times for fun as well and did not get addicted. But one needs to play smart. Keep an eye on your friend. If you notice things are getting weird, you should definitely tell her parents.